Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Can't open my Mac air. When I power up I get the screen with…

Customer Question
Can't open my Mac air...
Can't open my Mac air. When I power up I get the gray screen with my profile. When I click on it it asks for my password ***** here's wherewithal gets ugly:I had shut down because when I typed "a" it came up "q", and for "m" I got a comma. NOW because my password ***** with "M" in caps I can't enter it because it looks like I've entered ",yahches" instead of "Myches". I need the capital "m" to get in.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
1/18/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

This is a tough issue, but we should be able to make some progress with it. lets start with a pram reset.

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on your Mac.
Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.

Once it tries to start up, try to type in your password ***** see if it works.. Will it work now?

If not, send a reply and let me know and we will continue working this issue together.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Didn't work. Still rejects password
Now what?

Hmm..

Lets try to ascertain if the startup keys are working correctly at all.

try holding down command and R as soon as you press power.. Does this take you to the recovery menu?

Recovery menu I checked reinstall os. It's allowed it to open but same problem a still gives q and m gives , (comma), "w" = "z"

What we should be able to do to fix this issue then, is on the recovery menu.

At the top where you see the apple symbol and utilities, go System Preferences > Language and Text and set it to English.

Also make sure that the region is set to US, and that should fix the keyboard issue. And allow you to login

let me know if this helps or not~

Dustin S.

Done as you suggest. No difference

Were you able to find the language section?

Were you able to set the language and keyboard layout to english, us standard?

all set as you suggest - still no change

Hmmm.. Well we have the software set right.. This could be a fault in your firmware or an actual hardware failure in the keyboard itself.

Do you have a plain corded usb keyboard we could test with, such as this one? http://amzn.to/1PC4uDx

If you dont have one, it might be a good idea to order one.. Since we have the software settings correct, it really only leaves a faulted keyboard.. But before we consider replacing the built in keyboard which is a bit more expensive.. It would be a good idea to test with a USB keyboard first~

Dustin S.

Just tried my corded Mac USB keyboard. No improvement.
I've just tried ,y corded USB keyboard zith no i,prove,went; qs you can see:

Question..

The way you just typed.. Are you typing from the problem macbook air currently? Were you able to sign into your user account?

typed on the problem Mac air (typed this on my iPad mini
got into my user Acct - no change

Ok.. If you can sign in with the problem mac air into your user account.

Then.. Lets try to go back to the recovery screen and start the osx reinstall..

( you may need to open a text document first and type each key on your keyboard so you can figure out the exact correlation between what keys your pressing and whats actually being typed )

If we can get your password ***** then we shoudl be able to start the recovery, which may fix the issue.

If not, we may have to update your EFI and SMC firmware.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

Also.. It would be worthwhile to try creating a new admin user account to test with.. See if the problem persists in the new user account~

D.S

How do I get back to the "recovery scre. n"?
Recovery screen. (Typing this on my mini

To get to the recovery screen.

You hold down command and R when you very first press power to turn on the computer.

T hen you click the recovery drive, then you click utilities, then you click disk utility, then click permissions repair.

Then, once that completes, go back to the recovery screen and then click reinstall mac osx.. ( do not choose erase and install )

Do I shut down?

To get to the recovery screen, yes.. You have to shut down first. Then~

Disc Repair not an optIon in Disk Utility screen so no permissions repair
Wen t to OS X Base em That set it appears. OK

Im sorry.. I didnt understand the last sentence you wrote.

Can you expand on that and clarify? Thank you.

I went t o "disc Ut iility" and checked "OX S Base Sys tem. Report says that base stem appears. To beOK. Sez "Verify Disk" Says press "Repair D,Isco Permissioons" but that box is gray and does nothing.

Ok..

Now lets shut the mac down, start it again and press command r

This time choose reinstall osx.

let me know what happens~

Goes t
O gray screen w/my profile and asks for password.This is square one Dustin
Doesn't offer a Reinstall. OSX As a choice

Werent we just in the recovery menu though?

How else did you get to the disk utilities and terminals? I had suggest to hold down command R and then you spoke as if you were in that section.

Before, you even said you made it to reinstall osx, but couldnt type the password ***** correctly.

Maybe you need to try again. Shut down, press power, and immediately press and hold the command and R keys.

Does that take you to a choice where you can choose startup or recovery? or take you directly into the recovery menu?

I get a gray page w/progress bar OK Now I've got OX S Utilities which offers Disc. Utility whis Offers Macento HD. Or. Disc 1 which offers "OS X Base System

Youre reply dated at this time..

18 Jan 2016, 5:04 PM

So we can get to the recovery menu, as you have before~

So lets keep trying to fully shut down, and start press command and R and see if you can load into the recovery drive again.

D.S

I've gotten to OS X Base System.says Verify Disc. I press "Varify" and get "This volume of OS X Base System appears to be OK. There is a box on same screen that says "Repair Disc Permissions" but nothing happens when I press it.
I can't get to my browser to enter that screen
That screen address
Did you get my response to this, Dustin? I got to this page twice and struck out each time. The thread of how I've been bludgeoned by that page is included in gory detail above.

Unfortunately.. Your reply at 8:13 pm is the first ive seen since I sent you a message at 733.

I hate to ask you to explain it again. But if you made it to the recovery page twice.

What exactly happened when you clicked reinstall osx ?

I'm at downloading OS X Yosemite. About 55 minutes remaining. I'm considering killing myself, Dustin.

With as much as macs cost, youd expect them to fix themselves right?

Because of battery issues I've switched from the MacBook to iPhone to iPad Mini. I'm a friggin' Apple Poster Child. Even so I feel lie Aretha Franklin "I get no respect" WTF..

I hear that~ Keep me posted onthe status of the yosemite install~

OS X about 10 minutes to go. I wish I was. More confident it'll be restored to former way to type "a" I'll get an "a". Watch this space...
It opened to the gray page with my profile and request for password: rejected. Square1 after, what? 5 hours?

Question..

How were you able to enter the password ***** and sign into your account?