Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Am using a memory stick across 3 Mac OS systems - from

Customer Question
Customer: Am using a memory...
Customer: Am using a memory stick across 3 Mac OS systems - from 10.6.6 to current. Hav copied files from the former. plugged it into a an IMac with current OS.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It does not appear on the I Mac after copying a file in 10.6.6
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Would like an answer now please.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
1/15/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First reset the System Management Controller of your problem Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.

Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.

Wait 20 seconds seconds.

Attach the power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup. Then connect the memory stick to your Mac.

Does it recognize now ? If not, in Finder click on Finder menu and select Preferences. Under General tab, make sure Hardisks, removable disks etc are enabled.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Preferences do not make any reference to either hard disk or sticks on MAC 10.9.5
What hass happened?
David Bar/cay RIBA RIAS

Did you rest SMC and also PRAM ?

Make sure you are in Finder preferences. Click on the Finder icon in the dock. Then click onFinder menu at top next to Apple. Click Preferences. Click General tab and don't you see Hard disk, external disks etc ?

See this picture --> http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/img_550e017f0adc3.png

FYI The current OS X is not 10.9.5. It is 10.11 El Capitan. You can download it from Apple menu > App Store > Updates tab.

On your problem iMac, please do the steps below (after resetting the PRAM and SMC)

Go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (select the indented Macintosh HD or Mac HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Check the memory stick now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hard disks and connected servers are not enabled
external disk and CD, DVDs and iPods are
'All my files' does not show the stick.

Is the stick only working on 10.6 Mac ? Is it not working on other Mac besides the 10.9.5 one ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has worked on both before now.
Might have to download files onto the 10.6.8 and then reload?

Yes but this time we can format it. Download the files from the flash drive to your 10.6 Mac. Then open DIsk Utility from Applications > Utilities folder. Select your flash drive in the left column. Then click on Erase tab and erase it. Remember doing this will erase everything from it, so backup all files to 10.6 Mac.

After erasing connect it to your other Macs and does it recognize now ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That machine currently cannot see the stick. Will have to go to office.
Can make contact in about an hour. How?

I believe the disk is failing and it is not an issue with your Macs. This is common with the disks. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later. If you have another memory stick there, please try it.

I believe the disk is failing and it is not an issue with your Macs. This is common with the disks. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later via that bookmark. If you have another memory stick there, please try it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Many thanks will do,

You're welcome

Ashik, Mac Technician