Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My name is ***** *****. My MacBook pro will not go beyond

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, My name is ***** *****. My MacBook pro will not go beyond the white screen with the red circle slash. I have tried several methods, but alas to no avail
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thank you, ***** ***** seemed perhaps the computer was impaired some-how, it started working slower, and slower until it began freezing. Next I could only use the computer to use a simple text program, and no-thing else, but even that only worked for an hour at a time until finally the computer it seems, gave up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Now It's only the white screen perpetually
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

My apologies for the wait you have incurred so far. So I can assist you, I need to ask you for some more info.. Lets start with, do you know roughly what year and model of macbook pro you have?

Also, when you say you have tried several methods, could you provide some detail on what steps you have tried so far to resolve the issue.

Thank you for your patience, and response.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin,
Hello, It's a MacBook pro, the year is probably 2010, though I'm going with a guess, and the correlating date on the install Dvd that came with it. I have tried the reboot in safe, the pram reset, and something to do with the disk utility, none of these have gotten me past the white screen with the flashing red circle/slash. I have also tried yelling at the computer, with equal success. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trying the above.. Now lets try the following

Shut the mac down.. Hold down the X key

Start the mac and keep holding the x key.

What happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a (flashing file with a ? in the middle)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose the computer is as confused as I am.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Lets follow sections two and three on this page

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204323

If your Mac doesn't start up and if needed the "If you don't see your startup disk" section.

Keep me posted as to the results, or if you run into any issues.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin, I tried the second option, and again there is the flashing file/?, as for the 3rd option, I can't yet get past the flashing file to select the disk utility. I have already tried both of these methods. Do you have any idea how I get past that flashing file?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Question..

So holding down the option key when you start doesnt give you any choices?

Nor does holding down command R when you start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I hold down the OPTION key I get an arrow on the white screen, nothing more. When I hold down command/R we have the flashing file/? again.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay.. Ive been working since early this AM and needed to take an extended dinner break.

Let me say this.. All we really need to do is reinstall mac osx.. So.. do you know what version of mac osx is installed on the machine.

10.8 10.9 10.10 or the new 10.11 ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, we all need to eat. I'm not sure, exactly, THE computer is 5-6 years old, I think, so I would err toward the 10.8, but am not positive. Is there a way to check that doesn't involve starting the computer?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately not.. As whatever OS the machine shipped with could have be easily upgraded once or twice or more in 5-6 years

A safe bet, would be to order a snow leaopard install disk. As the machine can definitely run snow leopard.. And then you can upgrade to mountain lion for 20$, or yosemite for free. ( 10.10 )

You can get the install disk here. http://amzn.to/1Pvfoet

Then all you would have to do is insert the disk.. hold down the C key, start the computer.

And then choose to install mac osx.. the disk does the rest.. This will repair the boot file issues you are having.

Once installed, you can then visit the apple site and pay for a mountain lion upgrade, or go with the free yosemite upgrade. ( yosemite is newer )

If we knew the exact os you had we could just repair your current install.. But theres no sure way of knowing and it could be one of 5 possible os versions, and we dont want to have to buy 5 different disks~

If you have further questions let me know. And when you get the disk, Id be more then happy to help you use it to install Mac osx and get the mac running should you run into any issues.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.