Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I used the migrate assistance to tranffer my mac book pro to

Customer Question

I used the migrate assistance to tranffer my mac book pro to my iMac with and created a second admin. How do i erase the first admin and let the second admin become the main one.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

To remove the account you do not want anymore, Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups. Click the lock icon to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password. Select the user you want to delete, then click Remove below the list of users.

This will remove the user from the computer

Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I chose my first admin. name in user and groups but there's no button that says remove
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Its the - button at the bottom of that window if you do not see the remove button.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would rather get the instructions.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

no problem, please do the last instructions I gave

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did, but there is no remove button below the list of users after i chose or highlight the admin. that i want to delete.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, I think you missed my last message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Users/garrickhusband/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 11.22.12 PM.png
Can you show me please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

you cannot give a link to a file on your hard drive as it cannot be accessed.

But watch this film please as it shows you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmkWVlF8L9o

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't help. When i choose the admin. I want to change to change i don't see any type of option to delete, and when i choose the name i want to delete it doesn't give me a box asking for my user name and password.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

The delete, is the - there is a + and - on that page, its that you need to click. This is what I am trying to tell you.

the - as in the video.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that but I'm using my new admin. profile to delete my first one and that one is grey it won't let me choose it to delete.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

you need to first unlock it (Click the lock icon to unlock it)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is unlocked i did that first, so let me ask this, which profile should i be in to delete the one i want to delete.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

the other. You cannot delete a profile you are currently in

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just figured it out, the problem was i was logged in with both users at the same time and thats something that you should have ask so I'm sorry but i can't give you a high score and i will be asking for my money back.thank you for your time.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

sure, that does not really seem reasonable, as why would you stay logged into an account your deleting, thats like opening a file and then trying to delete it while opening, I can't account for all possibilities, but your the customer and can apply any logic you wish, and if your not going to pay for the service received that actually fixed your problem, then that's your right.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How did your info fix the problem for me? You didn't once ask if i was logged in as both users and your the expert and FYI i was incarcerate for seven years so dealing with computers is a new thing for me so who ever taught you how to deal with customers your boss should fire them because you should always (and i add not literally) treat every customer as if they no know nothing and take them through every possibility, if one solution doesn't work you have another and by the way are you logged in with both user names?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sure, except I first made sure you were doing my initial instructions carefully, as even after showing you the film you still did not see my messages about the - and were not executing my instructions correctly.

Therefore I needed to make sure you did not miss out the step to unlock it. You confirmed you did not and in the same message asked about the accounts which I informed you of.

I am not going to discuss this type of logic any further sorry, as I said if you do not want to pay for the service received, that is your choice.