Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have Bento on the iPad and need to move the database to

Customer Question
Customer: Hi, I have Bento...
Customer: Hi, I have Bento on the iPad and need to move the database to Bento for Mac. I have copied the files and tried to restore from backup, but the file is over 4gb, i have been using Bento for 3 years collecting data and images. As I have the backup file, what else can you suggest to enable me to use the Bento file? I have tried on a few macs and not been able to upload the file.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, the file size is 4gb and has lots of images to each record. I am using version 4.0.5 I have tried version 4.1.2 without much success.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes thats fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
I am happy to pay for the help on this, but don't want to pay on an ongoing basis.
1/3/2016
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist

Hi, What version of IOS is on the ipad and what version of MAC OS are you running?

Hi, The ipad is running IOS 9.2 and Im trying on 2 macs, 1 is OS X EI Capitan Version 10.11.2 and a macbook pro running OSX 10.9.5.
Bento on the ipad is version 4.0.2(35387) and I have tried both 4.0.5 & 4.1.2 on the mac's.

Are you using the file-export method to try and move the data?

I have all the data on the ipad, I tried to copy the data using the bento wireless share, but it sees the Mac as the parent and deletes all the data from the ipad, but i have the data backup up with icloud, so just restored the data back to the ipad. As the ipad is running out of space I wanted to move the data onto my computer then use Ninox instead of Bento as the support for Bento ceased in 2013. Ninox have a good bento migration tool but you need to firstly export the data from Bento for mac, then upload to Ninox. I used PhoneView to get the data from the iPad and copied the bento.bentodb file from the mac, then tried to restore from backup and grab the file. It looks as though it is going to work and then after a while the Bento for mac just looks the same as it was. The only thing I have noticed is that the file size now on the mac is the same size as the ipad bento, but obviously has lost links along the way.
Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the info. When you use bento wireless share does that get it into bento for mac? (even if it deletes it from the ipad)

No, it deletes it from the ipad and copies the address book, calendar and tasks, it sees the mac as the master and the ipad as the slave. Unfortunately not the other way around!

So the data and images you want dont copy over using bento wireless share? but the address book, calendar and tasks copy perfectly?

The data only copies 1 way, from the Mac to the iPad, not the way I want it to

Can the ipad version be upgraded to a slightly newer version on the app store (i appreciate the product is no longer made but as you already have a copy maybe there is an update)

No, have tried this already.

ok, Im going to opt out to see if there is another person with more Bento knowledge who can help you.

Mike, Mac Medic