Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My name is ***** *****. I am getting the circle with the

Customer Question
Customer: My name is *****...
Customer: My name is ***** *****. I am getting the circle with the line through it. I am looking at solution 1 first. How are you today?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yesterday, I got a circle with the line through it. This has happened a few months ago. I took it to a computer center, but the man could not find anything wrong.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
12/28/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive. To make sure this is not a issue with the hard drive you can reinstall your Mac OS X.

Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the proble unless it hard drive related.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

(I will give you instructions via this page, so you can take your time and follow the instructions at your convenience)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It did not work. I got to reinstall Mac OS X. I was told to tell where I wanted to place the new reinstalled Mac OS X, but I did not have any options.

That indicates that either the hard drive is failing or the partition of hard drive has failed.

Do you have the back up of your files ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not paying any more. Thank you for your help.

The partition of the hard drive is corrupted, that is why you are unable to install on it. Since it is corrupted, you will have to erase (format) the hard drive.

You have three options in here. First is, buy Disk Warrior (powerful disk utility application) and try to repair your hard disk or recover your files with it. If it is unable to fix the hard drive, then it will at least help you to recover the files that are readable and save them to an external drive. Get it from here : http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

Disk Warrior is costly. If you don't want to recover any files, then you don't have to buy Disk Warrior. It is not worth it if you don't have any important files/applications.

Second is, you can erase the hard drive and try to do a fresh version of Mac OS X in it. This will erase everything from your hard disk unfortunately. Boot into the Mac OS X Utilities screen just like you did before. In there, select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and erase it. Then close Disk Utility and continue installation. This is the quickest solution if you don't mind losing the files in it.

Third is, you can take the Mac to the Apple Store. They will recover the files using their tools and then reinstall Mac OS X for you.

Please let me know what you think.

All other components like logic board, CPU, graphics card etc are fine. It is just an issue with the hard drive. We're not sure whether it is hardware or software yet. Erasing the drive will tell whether it is hardware or software. But this will delete everything from the drive

Hard drive starts from $40 but it will cost up to $200 if you replace it from Apple Store. You can do it yourself for a lot less than that and I will send you instructions to do that if you would like to do it yourself. Y

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. If you are satisfied with the service I provided, please don't forge to rate me as OK Service or higher, then only I will get credit for helping you. You will not be charged anything additional.

Happy New Year,

Ashik, Mac Technician