Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I just upgraded Photos to Version 1.3 on my Macbook Pro.

Customer Question
Yesterday I upgraded the OS...
I just upgraded Photos to Version 1.3 on my Macbook Pro. Yesterday I upgraded the OS to El Capitan. I can no longer view still photos (whether in a slideshow or not) on Apple TV from the Photos application. I can view video, though. I did it successfully on Christmas day BEFORE either of the upgrades. I tried Exporting a slideshow to iTunes, and can view a slideshow, but the audio does not Export with the video. Unfortunately, I did not make a Time Machine Backup, so I can't restore my Macbook to it's previous settings.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
12/28/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

It will no longer export the audio if the audio is DRM protected, even if you have the rights to it. That's a limitation (by design unfortunately) in the current version of the OS.

As for photos to the AppleTV - you don't really need iPhoto involved in this. But here's what you can do to configure it for viewing.

Launch that application on your Mac, choose File > Home Sharing > Choose Photos to Share With Apple TV. In the Photo Sharing Preferences window that appears enable the Share Photos From option and then be sure that iPhoto is selected from the pop-up menu next to it. (You could otherwise choose Aperture if you had a copy, a folder of your choosing, or the Pictures folder in your user account.)

To share all your pictures enable the All photos, albums, Events and Facesoption. If you choose, instead, to share just particular albums, events, or faces, enable the next option—Selected albums, Events and Faces. If you enable this option you’ll have to select the collections of pictures you want to see from the Albums, Events, and Faces lists that appear.

Regardless of which of these two options you enable, you can additionally choose to include videos by enabling the option of the same name. Once you’ve made your choice, click Apply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As stated in the question I posed, I am running "Photos" (Ver 1.3), and NOT "iPhoto." The commands/options to which you refer (e.g. "File > Home Sharing > Chose Photos to Share With Apple TV") are not available in Photos, at least not in the place you suggest.I have an older iMac (2010) running Mountain Lion that still has iPhoto '11 (v 9.4.3), and although sharing options are given in the Preferences menu, there is no option for sharing photos with Apple TV. (Was ATV available in 2011?) But regardless of that, I want to display the photos on my AV System which is in a different part of the house from the older iMac. The MacbookPro would be my go to device for this, but it's running the newer "Photos" application. Does this change your Answer?

I'm not referring to the iMac.

What I am saying is that it has nothing to do with the photo application, regardless of what it is. It's done through iTunes. It's called "home sharing". Here is a more detailed explanation.

http://bitli.es/EC3lo9

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't had a chance to try what you suggested on iTunes yet. I'll do that over the next few days and will rate you then.

Ok. Let me know how you make out.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan