Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Ican'ttype any text in search box on my imac. can you help

Customer Question
Customer: hi! Ican'ttype any text...
Customer: hi! Ican'ttype any text in search box on my imac. can you help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: name's ***** ***** what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 2 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you mean you can't type anything in Spotlight search ? What happens when you search ?

We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column (Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If you are using latest Mac OS X El Capitan, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Are you able to search in Safe Mode ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Ashik, Mac Technician