Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a Macbook Pro that won't boot, I opened up Disk

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** have a Macbook Pro that won't boot, I opened up Disk Utility and it looks like my hard drive is unmounted, and when I click mount, nothing happens. I need to get some files off the Mac if I can, I have an HP that I'm using now.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When I try to boot the laptop normally, the spinning loading logo appears with a load bar underneath. The load bar doesn't do anything, eventually disappears, and the spinning logo stays up with the Mac logo. It won't go past this point.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure I'll be here.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got it to verify the disk the message I got after was "Keys out of order" then it told me to try repairing the disk but now it says "Disk Utility can't repair the disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files"
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a backup? If not you can try a third party startup USB drive like Disk Warrior to try and repair the drive which can many times repair a drive that Disk Utility cannot. Otherwise you are stuck with erasing as it will not mount at this point. Let me know.