Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

Well I'm having a problem with my iPod 7th generation...the

Customer Question

Customer: well I'm having a problem with my iPod 7th generation...the volume keeps going down on its own...and i reset it twice
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when i turn on my iPod and turn the sound up it immediately slides back to no volume on its own
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: if you can fix it, I'll pay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

hi there! can you confirm if you have the 7th generation ipod nano ? i attached a picture to verify that this the ipod we are talking about. just click the blue link to see the photo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's it

Thanks please follow the steps below. We will need your ipods usb cable as well as a mac or pc with itunes installed.

Link to download itunes if you do not have it

apple.com/itunes

1. Reset the iPod by pressing the Sleep and Home buttons simultaneously until the display shows the Apple logo. This takes about eight seconds.
  2. When the Apple logo appears, press and hold the Volume Down and Volume Up buttons simultaneously until the device enters Disk Mode ( you will see the words disk mode or ok to disconnect on the screen of the ipod)
    1. Then connect it to your mac or pc and restore with itunes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get to where I have the up and down volume pressed but that only brings up the speaker image.

I understand this is a bit difficult but we must do it exactly as stated make sure to reset the ipod then quickly press the volume up and down buttons. Or turn off your ipod then hold the volume buttons while turning it on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok the home button is the round button below the screen and the sleep button is on the top right?

correct :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cab't even power off the iPod now.

Thats really strange we can connect it to the computer and use itunes to restore it. Then we can make sure that the issue is resolved. Just connect it to your computer and open itunes. It should open to a summary page with your ipods info. Here their will be a button that says restore. Click it then wait for the restore process to finish. Once done verify if your ipod is still having issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll do a restore.

sounds good ill be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok after reset it played for about 10 seconds and then the volume turned itself down again.

Thanks then the issue is more then likely one of two things. The headphones volume buttons are malfunctioning
( try a different set of headphones)or the physical buttons have grime built up ( which in this case rubbing alcohol and good scrubbing with a tooth brush would fix it.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The volume buttons are actually on the side of the iPod.

Yes but some headphones have buttons attached to the line.Also clean the buttons on the side with rubbing alcohol as mentioned before.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks

no problem but its for sure something physical usually people that run with them or have them in thier hand have issues like these not abnormal or something that couldnt be easily fixed.

Hello again. I am posting back because i have not heard from you hopefully this a good thing as your problem is possibly fixed. Please either post back if your still having problems or just rate this reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of the recommendations worked so I disposed of the device.

I understand thank you for using just answer