Chris Baxter
Chris Baxter, Mac Genius
Experience:  Computer repair and software development company owner/technician
68869132

Running Snow Leopard on an old MacBook
, I had been

Customer Question

Customer: Hi-Running Snow Leopard on an old MacBook
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had been using iDrive and iDriveSync (third party backup and sync programs), but they stopped supporting the old OS so I closed my account and uninstalled the software (used their uninstaller on iDrive, and AppCleaner on iDriveSync. Now, my Console shows something called iDirveSyncDaemon, going crazy as it tries to find the non-existent files. I can't find the daemon on my drive (tried find command in Terminal.) Rebooted, sudo-emptied the trash, but the darned thing is still there.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Mac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure. I'll get the console report ready ... have to transfer to my desktop iMac, since the laptop is more or less paralyzed.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Chris Baxter replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

The file you want to delete is located in one of these places on the system, if you cant delete it drag it out of the folder and restart the computer after either process.

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/
/System/Library/LaunchAgents/
/Library/LaunchDaemons/
/Library/LaunchAgents/
Homedirectory/Library/LaunchAgents

Thank you for using Just Answers! Don't forget to accept and rate! :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those folders are all clean. Via Terminal, "sudo find / -name "IDrive*" located several files in the trash, which I had to empty via Terminal (presumably because the OS had it's fingers on at least one of them.) Now, "sudo find" sees nothing on the drive, but somehow, the system is still launching the daemon. I'm having other issues, however - a second system install just failed - and I'm beginning to think the HD is flaky. (Only 3 years old, which is a bit aggravating.) Booting into single-user mode leaves me unable to type anything at all, so I'm going to format the drive and restore from a backup. Single-user mode doesn't use the system on the HD for much of anything, so the fact that it's hosed is a bit disturbing ... have you ever heard of this happening?

Sounds like corruption of the HDD, and yes, I have heard of that before. If you can access the "create new user" button, I would recommend creating a new user and logging in through that before wiping the system, as it may be user profile corruption, which would be a much easier thing to fix! :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, tried that already. The combination of new user + safe mode made the daemon go away, but that didn't leave me with any useful options, and there was still a long parade of kext errors in the console. Then there was the sponaneous re-boot, which pretty well settled matters.
I have a full Time Machine backup from Dec. 1, and I'm restoring from there (4.5 hours to go - this is where "USB is fine for backup" comes back to bite you.) I'm putting in a partition where I can maintain a clone of the OS - that should make recovering easier.
A clean install is a major PITA, since I then have to re-install all my applications, including MS Office, and slog through who-knows how many updates and patches. (It's Office 2004, so you can imagine...) There's also a WinXP virtual machine that I REALLLY don't want to re-create from scratch!

I know how you feel here, I have quite a few VR machines as well. I know you tried looking for the file by name, but did you search by using the maker? It may yield some interesting results.

Did you check /Library/StartupItems? It may be a startup flag calling the daemon, if you can find that flag and kill it, it should stop loading that daemon.

You can try disabling any autologin bookmarks with the following terminal command:

sudo defaults write /var/db/launchd.db/com.apple.launchd.peruser.$UID/overrides.plist com.dayoneapp.dayone-agent '<dict><key>Disabled</key><true/></dict>'

and if those files are hidden I am sure you know how to search in the terminal with 'ls- lasi'? Just to be sure the files are not in the earlier paths I mentioned and hidden.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All academic now - and with luck, it stays that way!
Time to restore keeps creeping up, instead of down . . . now it says >7 hrs, and it's ticking up one minute per second. A Firewire drive might pay for itself here!

I agree!

With luck the restore will work, though if that daemon is still active you could be contending with the god-awful memory leak it has.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah - I'm restoring to the pre-uninstall state, where iDrive will be running again. I'll see what happens when I pull it from my startup items. May be best to let sleeping dogs (and applications) lie.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11% restored, holding steady at 4h47m to go. I suppose "holding steady" is relatively good. :-)I'm just hoping the HD is physically OK - the MacBook did get knocked to the floor over Thanksgiving, but it was sleeping, so the heads should (I think) have been parked. I'll keep this page open in my browser, if that's OK with you, and check back later with whatever antics iDrive gets up to.

If you are very very lucky you have an SSD instead of an HDD in there. If not you can always check the physical integrity using Disk Utility in the Applications/Utilities folder. You can keep this page open, or close and return to it at need, I will be notified when you respond here, and please remember to rate and accept when or if you are sure you no longer need assistance! :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HD passes all tests I have at hand (Disk Utility verify and repair, Apple Hardware Test), but attempted Time Machine restore or System installation both failed. Top of the installer log file is below:I then created a 50GB partition and successfully installed the system to that, and it seems to be fine in all respects. Somewhere in the other 450 GB partition is . . . what? I'd expect that the formatting operation would map out bad sectors, so maybe a bad platter or read/write head - but that surely would flunk the tests, no? It might be time to invest in DiskWarrior or some other high-end utility.In any event, given that bit of success, I'm playing with additional partitioning; maybe I can fence off whatever the problem is into a "bad partition" that I can ignore. (I assume that a partition corresponds to a physical patch of disk real estate.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Errors in TM restore log first crop up here:Dec 10 06:17:36 localhost OSInstaller[153]: [RESTORE] Error -36 while restoring /Volumes/MB Time Machine/Backups.backupdb/Jim's MacBook/2015-12-01-134141/Macintosh HD/Users/Jim/Library/Application Support/Freeverse/Big Bang Board Games/BigBangReversi2.51.zip to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Jim/Library/Application Support/Freeverse/Big Bang Board GamesDec 10 06:17:36 localhost OSInstaller[153]: [RESTORE] Error -8062 while restoring /Volumes/MB Time Machine/Backups.backupdb/Jim's MacBook/2015-12-01-134141/Macintosh HD/Users/Jim/Library/Application Support/Freeverse/Big Bang Board Games/BigBangReversi2.51.zip to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Jim/Library/Application Support/Freeverse/Big Bang Board GamesDec 10 06:17:36 localhost OSInstaller[153]: [RESTORE] 23: restoring usr
Dec 10 06:17:36 localhost OSInstaller[153]: from source path: /Volumes/MB Time Machine/Backups.backupdb/Jim's MacBook/2015-12-01-134141/Macintosh HD/usr
Dec 10 06:17:36 localhost OSInstaller[153]: to destination path: (null)
Dec 10 06:17:36 localhost OSInstaller[153]: [RESTORE] Error -43 attempting to initiate restore.
Dec 10 06:17:40 localhost LCA[79]: Child exited with status 11
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Process: Mac OS X Installer [153]
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Path: /System/Installation/CDIS/Mac OS X Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Mac OS X Installer
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Identifier: Mac OS X Installer
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Version: ??? (???)
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Parent Process: LCA [79]
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]:
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Date/Time: 2015-12-10 06:17:36.916 -0800
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6 (10A432)
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Report Version: 6
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000002042300e8
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Application Specific Information:
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: objc_msgSend() selector name: release
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: Thread 0 Crashed: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: 0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x000000010057e34d objc_msgSend + 57
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: 1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x0000000100679656 _CFAutoreleasePoolPop + 230
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: 2 com.apple.Foundation 0x00000001008fa3c4 -[NSAutoreleasePool drain] + 158
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: 3 com.apple.AppKit 0x0000000100cd6bbd -[NSApplication run] + 543
Dec 10 06:17:41 localhost ReportCrash[298]: 4 com.apple.AppKit 0x0000000100ccf844 NSApplicationMain + 364(...and scores more of these "localhost ReportCrash[298]" entries)

Yep, you are correct about that bad physical sector, it looks like the parked HDD still managed to tap the platter with the needle. (Tends to happen when it is dropped and parked, thankfully it was not running or the whole platter would be gone) If you can recover using software to recover individual bad sectors (time consuming) for data that is a MUST HAVE I recommend that, if not simply replace the drive, it wont get any better, and investing on high-end software will not make the pin-hole in the platter disappear, hate to say it, but that is end of life for that hard drive platter. Pull what you can from it and run! :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mappping out and not using bad sectors isn't a thing these days?

Most typically wont go that route due to the requirement to match up compatibility with the manufacturers on the drive, it could be a viable option if and only if the platter is not horribly damaged, and the proper software is used. (I think Disk Utility will work for the software part.) In the mac I was under the impression that bad sectors are typically written off automatically (speaking of mapping) and newer drives (since SMART started implementation, have automatic processes for handling and writing off bad sectors already. There really should not be a need to do such a thing, unless of course you are trying to avoid a physical defect in the drive. Writing zeros in most drives forces a write, but it wont help in mapping bad sectors. In all honesty I would replace the drive and image as much data off the old one as possible before that platter suffers any more deterioration (which is a certainty considering the RPMs the drives run at *if not an SSD*.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the IDriveSync Uninstaller does not work (hangs) whether in normal or in safe mode, and whether or not IDriveSync is running. (The Uninstaller causes IDriveSync to quit.)I cleaned up by uninstalling IDriveSync using AppCleaner, emptying the trash, and re-booting.
Having done that, here's a screen shot (7.09.03 PM) that pretty well summarizes the problem: IDWifiManager and IDriveSyncDaemon are running, or trying to, as the Console shows, yet neither can be found on the hard drive, as the Terminal window shows. A search for IDrive* or IDWifi* returns nothing but this morning's crash reports (and the installer .pkg that I've hung onto.)Where are these processes coming from? They don't show up in Activity Monitor, per the second screen shot. Are any of these processes related to an IDrive or IDriveSync installation?

sudo launchctl bstree -j

ps au

**terminal

This command should show the entire tree for the system, Activity Monitor shows only your processes in the kernel.