Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My laptop is freaking out, and I have finals starting on

Customer Question
hi! My laptop is freaking...
hi! My laptop is freaking out, and I have finals starting on Monday. Can I come in to the apple store at 199 Boylston to try to figure out what's wrong with my laptop / buy a new one if it can't be fixed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
12/4/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

We may be able to fix it here.

What is the issue you have with the Laptop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the same problem I had earlier this year...the mouse does not work and moves on its own accord. An external mouse does not work because the cursor moves on its own. Also it is incredibly slow and sometimes shuts down! I have a law school exam on Monday and CANNOT risk it doing this then.

ok, can we do the following please.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is no first aid tab
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wait i found it

yes, its at the top

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do i restart after the repair

yes please, when it has completed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wait so i think it worked but I'm scared it will happen during my exam
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what caused the issue and will it happen again

Data corruption on the hard drive, I see it a lot, so we repaired everything, I would advise, just before you go into your exam, to do the procedure we just did, it should be alright but this would make sure. Just do it an hour before.

I marked this question to never close so if you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the problem started when i spilled a scootch of coffee on the trackpad but now its working...is it because of the liquid i wiped it all off!

Whats a Scootch, a few drops?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
a few not much and i wiped it up right away...is that was corrupted the data.. does that mean further problems

Yes it can, and this we repaired now via the procedure we just ran.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what are the future problems

There should be none, we have fixed the corruption which stopped the problem as you saw

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but can be further complications from the few drops

If there were it would be still an issue now as it would be a hardware problem and what we did would not fix that.

The pad is very resistant so I really do not see the drops causing any hardware issues, but if it did you would be having the issues now as we speak

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay richard you are amazing and my savior!

your most welcome and good luck with the Exam!

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you

Richard, Apple Software Engineer