Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

My iMac won't get past the login screen. Accepts password

Customer Question

My iMac won't get past the login screen. Accepts password ***** reverts back to login
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Did you boot to Recovery HD and Repair Permissions?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Was Verify Disk ok then you Repaired Permissions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK do that again but this time Reinstall Mac OS X.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just did it again and reinstalled Mac OX. It restarted on its own and still won't get past the login screen
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a backup?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Let me know about the backup... Try this to clear some things:

Restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass, if it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please refund my deposit. It did not work and I need to use another technician
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If you want another technician then I just opt out you don need to start over... good luck

Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.

Hello there! Sounds like their might be an issue with your user please follow the steps below to create another user then we can verify if you can log into this user.

Turn off your Mac.

• Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to login to a brand new Administrator account.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want a refund as I am not satisfied

No worries i will forward this to customer service :)