Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have just gone to start my mac book pro ... It was working

Customer Question

Hi I have just gone to start my mac book pro ... It was working fine a few days ago ... It seems to start but the screen is grey in colour with the apple logo and the little icon with spins ... Can you help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Hold the power button for 10 seconds then Restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It went thru a bar but then returned to the spinning wheel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the re boot and it got approx one third the way along the bar the disappeared
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike are you there ?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes what year MacBook is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approx 3-4 years old
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK do you know what system version it was running?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Try this:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys and immediately hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All good Mike I will just take to my Apple store which is only 10mins away tomorrow .... Can you confirm this was a one of payment I made as I do not require ongoing support ... Thank you ... Have a nice day ... Bill
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Wait if all is good why are you taking to the Apple Store?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All good is just my Aussie way of saying nothing working so will just go to the store tomorrow ... Am very busy have not got time .... Billy
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK then do that again boot to Recovery HD and this time choose Reinstall Mac OS X.