Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have just gone to start my mac book pro ... It was working

Customer Question
Hi I have just gone...
Hi I have just gone to start my mac book pro ... It was working fine a few days ago ... It seems to start but the screen is grey in colour with the apple logo and the little icon with spins ... Can you help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 2 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic

Hold the power button for 10 seconds then Restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.

It went thru a bar but then returned to the spinning wheel
I did the re boot and it got approx one third the way along the bar the disappeared
Mike are you there ?

Yes what year MacBook is it?

Approx 3-4 years old

OK do you know what system version it was running?

Try this:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys and immediately hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

All good Mike I will just take to my Apple store which is only 10mins away tomorrow .... Can you confirm this was a one of payment I made as I do not require ongoing support ... Thank you ... Have a nice day ... Bill

Wait if all is good why are you taking to the Apple Store?

All good is just my Aussie way of saying nothing working so will just go to the store tomorrow ... Am very busy have not got time .... Billy

OK then do that again boot to Recovery HD and this time choose Reinstall Mac OS X.

Mike, Mac Medic