Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My computer died when I was updating it to OS X. Now, I can

Customer Question
My computer died when I...
My computer died when I was updating it to OS X. Now, I can get logged in. Says there is a problem.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
11/25/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer replied 1 year ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

First safe-boot your system by following below steps:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
  5. Wait while safe mode boots up. It will take a lot longer than regular OS X.
  6. Log in (press shift-enter instead of enter after putting in your password ***** log in without login items.)
  7. You are in safe mode

Are you able to boot into Safe mode ? If so please restart the system and try to boot normally.

Regards

Jins

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This didn't work, after I put my password ***** it shows me some scripting at the left top corner of the screen and then takes me back to the beginning.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Okay, then you should try the internet recovery to re-install Mac OSX. Please refer the following webpage which will help you to perform internet recovery.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/14/reinstall-os-x-mac-internet-recovery/

Regards

Jins

It will take time as per the speed of your internet connection. 3 to 4 hours is usual. But if it is taking too much time and there is no indication of installation progress, please reboot the system and Run Disk utility to Repair Disk and Repair Permissions.

Follow the steps below:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu. Then try to re-install again.

Regards

Jins

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's been over 12 hours and my internet connection seems to be working at a fair speed. Do I just keep letting it go?

If there is no progress indication and it only shows the spinning wheel, restart the computer and use disk utility as I recommended before.

Regards

Jins

Jins M. N.
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer