Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

How can I use a HP Scanjet 4600 scanner with a Mac running

Customer Question
System 10.11?...
How can I use a HP Scanjet 4600 scanner with a Mac running System 10.11?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mac
11/25/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

HP has not released driver for that scanner for OS X 10.11 and it is not going to be I believe. So you have to use a third party driver application and driver named VueScan to use the scanner with your Mac (use trial version first) --> http://www.hamrick.com/#download

VueScan support wide variety of scanners and it is a little bit costly. It is compatible with OS X 10.11 and support your scanner moel.

Before you try VueScan, did you try adding the scanner from System Preferences > Print and Scan ? Open Image Capture application and does it recognize the scanner ? If not, then your only option is VueScan.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The scanner is not listed in my System preferences. I have downloaded VueScan previously and it tells me that it will not work for the HP "Scanjet 4600" on a Mac running System 10.11. This is why I have asked the question to see if there is some third party that has a driver for their scanner and System 10.11.

I checked VueScan and found that it is compatible with Scanjet 4600

Let me check again and let you know.

It is compatible. See here ---> http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_scanjet_4600.html

VueScan has been updated to work with 10.11

Can you delete the old VueScan and download the new one ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can. I have just downloaded it again. When I try "preview" it says "no scanner found" I tried turning the scanner off and on. The scanner works with an old Mac I have running system 10.4

Please download and try the latest VueScan. Let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I downloaded the "supported list of scanners" and it says it does not work for the 4600 if the HP website has no driver for the HP4600 for system 10.11. And HP has no driver for the 4600 for system 10.11.

This article says that it is compatible. Did you download latest Vuescan ?

See this article --> http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/hp_scanjet_4600.html

Delete old VueScan using this application App Cleaner --> https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Then download latest VueScan from here --> http://www.hamrick.com/files/vuex6495.dmg

If that VueScan didn't work, then download this version --> http://www.hamrick.com/files/vuex3295.dmg

Is it still not working ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is what the VueScan site saysVueScan works with the HP ScanJet 4600 on Windows and Mac OS X.You need to install an HP driver to use this scanner on Windows and Mac OS X.If there isn't an HP driver at www.hp.com for your operating system, then unfortunately VueScan won't work with this scanner. VueScan uses a plugin library that's installed with the HP drivers to talk to this scanner, and doesn't work with this scanner without this plugin library.

Even though it says like that, it works without HP drives for some models. Let me know check for some third party drivers

Please try the TWAIN drivers --> http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm afraid I'm a bit confused in installing the Twain driver. I go to the site you gave and readThe TWAIN SANE Interface is provided as a binary package and as source code. To use the interface you only have to install the binary package. Before installing the TWAIN SANE Interface package you should install the libusb and the sane-backends binary packages.There is also a optional SANE Preference Pane package available, which makes it easier to configure the sane-backends drivers. If you don’t install this package you can still configure the sane-backends using a text editor in the Terminal.I'm afraid this is not a simple installation.

Those are pkg files, which means you can download and open the pkg files to install. These are the only third party drivers I could find. Download and install all 5 packages

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm having difficulty opening the files. They don't seem to be simple to install. First I needed to disable my security settings in Preferences, then when I try to open say, "gotext" I get a list of locations, so I clicked Applications. Now I get folder labeled "SanDisk", so I click on it and get a greyed out "SanDiskSec.... The only choice I seem to have is either click on the location offered or click on "Cancel" I'm really not certain exactly what to do.

Download this one --> http://www.ellert.se/PKGS/TWAIN-SANE-Interface-3.5/10.11/TWAIN-SANE-Interface.pkg

Double click on the .pkg file download and what does it bring ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got a popup with "libusb not found Please install the libusb package before installing the TWAIN SANE Interface package."
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, it's installed, what's next?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I get a popup saying "sane-backends not found Please install the sane-backends package before installing the TWAIN SANE Interface package."
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, this one installed. Next?

This one also --> http://www.ellert.se/PKGS/gettext-0.19.6/10.11/gettext.pkg

Then install this --> http://www.ellert.se/PKGS/SANE-Preference-Pane-1.5/10.11/SANE-Preference-Pane.pkg

and finally --> http://www.ellert.se/PKGS/TWAIN-SANE-Interface-3.5/10.11/TWAIN-SANE-Interface.pkg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I try the first one I get a popup saying "Installer quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple." If I then click on "Reopen", I get the list of computer locations I got previously. I do not get anything that says "Install."

Are you getting this error when you install TWAIN SANE interface package ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't know. Haven't tried yet. I'll try now if you like. I didn't know if they had to be installed in a certain order.

It has be to installed in Applications folder. Install this --> http://www.ellert.se/PKGS/SANE-Preference-Pane-1.5/10.11/SANE-Preference-Pane.pkg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
SANE package installed OK

This is the last package to install --> http://www.ellert.se/PKGS/TWAIN-SANE-Interface-3.5/10.11/TWAIN-SANE-Interface.pkg

Install it in Applications folder

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, that went thru. What's next?

Restart your Mac. Go to System Preferences > Print and Scan. Can you see the scanner now ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Restarted the computer, went to Preferences, Printers & Scanners, and there were several printers a scanner, but the HP 4600 scanner was not listed.

Open Applications folder and do you see TWAIN application there ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, no TWAIN application.

Connect the scanner to different USB port, then open Image Capture application. Do you see anything under Devices in left ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Switched USB port, opened Image Capture application and "No camera or scanner connected" message displayed.

I'm really sorry, that means the scanner is not compatible with your Mac. This is the only driver I could find.

Since I couldn't solve your problem, you can contact***@******.*** for refund.

Please don't rate the answer anything to process refund. Sorry I couldn't solve your problem, but this is an hardware related compatibility issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, thanks for trying. I appreciate it.Scott

You're welcome !

Ashik, Mac Technician