John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I have an iPad 4s and today it is not charging properly. I

Customer Question

I have an iPad 4s and today it is not charging properly. I only get the apple on the screen and can't get anything else up. ???? I don't want to loose all me data. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

First, let’s attempt resolving this issue with your Apple device by trying a hard reset, then proceed from there if that does not resolve the problem:

Disconnect the device from it's cord, if plugged in.

Press and hold your Sleep/Wake button (on the top) and Home button (on the front) together for around 10 seconds.

When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

The next thing you should see after the Apple logo is the home screen a few minutes later.

If the above does not work, plug it straight into a power outlet and try again.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, that is not working. The problem is that the Apple logo is frozen on my screen and I cannot turn the iPad off.Lee
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lee,

If you hold down those two buttons for long enough then the screen should indeed eventually go black and restart. Do you see that and it's just returning to the Apple logo or can you not get it to restart at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen went black and then I got it back on but the Apple logo is still there.
Lee
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

can you tell me how you normally back up this iPad? Via iTunes or with iCloud?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is with ICloud.Lee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John when you emailed me I heard it on my iPad, but it still just has the logo showing.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks!

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update (or “Apple Store” for OS X 10.9 users) > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

Disconnect all cables from your Apple device.

Open iTunes on the computer

Turn off the device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until the device simply shuts off, if locked up).

Press and hold the Home button. While holding the Home button, connect your device to the computer running iTunes. (If your device doesn't turn on automatically, turn it on.)

Continue holding the Home button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen.

iTunes will alert you that it has detected a device in recovery mode. Click OK, then restore the device.

It may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use iCloud in this case, which should have the latest backup of your personal data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My computer is not a MAC, so what do I do now. I have an Apple cell phone.Lee
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

That's fine, just follow the link and download the latest iTunes to your Windows computer as normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I downloaded iTunes to my computer. What's next?
Lee
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Great, if you haven't installed it yet, please do so and run it. Then answer any set up questions it may ask (defaults are fine).

Disconnect all cables from your Apple iPad.

Open iTunes on the computer

Turn off the iPad (press the sleep/wake button on the top until the device simply shuts off).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I installed iTunes but I can't tell. What should I see?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

You should see an iTunes icon on your desktop or among your other programs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it's on my desktop. Thanks. I'm a blonde and her is a dumb blonde question. How do I connect my device to the computer?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

No worries!

Use the charging cord to connect the iPad to your computer. The end that plugs into the power adapter is a normal USB connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I think I know what you mean, but I don't have one of them as one end of mine plugs into the wall. So, I just need to buy one tomorrow and then plug one end into my computer port and the other into my iPad.
Right?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Is this the cord that came with your iPad as new? if so then the end of that cord does indeed pull out of the square power adapter that plugs into the wall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have had a couple of different cords. I just bought a new one today and couldn't get to the Apple Store so I had to buy one with just one end like I will need. I will get one with both ends tomorrow. I don't really want to close this help session until I get it done. Can I leave this open & will it be someone else in the morning?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I understand.

You can reply back after you get the cord and I will respond as soon as I come back online for work tomorrow.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you John, have a good night.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

You too!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi JohnI have the cord and I am charging my iPad right now. Once it gets charged I will continue on with iTunes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok John, I need your help.Lee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I click on iTunes it opens to the music store. Is that where I should be?Lee
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John can you let me know when you are at work here again so I can reach you. Thanks.
Lee
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Lee,

Here are the directions again. Go through them step by step and let me know where you have any problems.

Open iTunes on the computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question 1: When I open iTunes on my computer it takes me to the store. Is that where I should be?Question 2: When I press and hold the sleep/wake button and connect my device to the computer I see that my device is not charging and I only have a few red lines even though I have been charging it for an good hour.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

As long as iTunes is running, it should matter what screen it is on. It should pick up the iPad and move to restore mode.

That's not good in regard to the battery, however, we don't know what it's doing in it's current state either that could be running the battery down as quick as it charges. If there's a physical problem, we should know shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Good luck!