Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Looking solution to an iMac with a black screen

Customer Question

Looking for a solution to an iMac with a black screen
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sorry for the delayed response. When did this problem start ? Do you hear any beeps when you turn on the Mac ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about a week ago, sometimes if I move the mac the picture will reappear for a couple of seconds and then the screen goes blank/black again
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid the graphics chip or LCD is failing and you may need to get the LCD replaced. But before I send you out to do that, let’s check every possibility to be sure it isn’t something else in an effort to save you from that expensive repair. So we can reset some hardware components of your Mac. First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.

Unplug the power cord and also disconnect all other devices.

Wait 20 seconds seconds.

Attach the power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

If that didn't work, then wait 5 minutes. Then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just carrying out the second solution
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mac doesn't even sound like it is booting up now....previously after the white screen I could see the booting up bar but that has gone now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

So is it going blank or black screen immediately after the Apple logo or loading screen ?

Do this please. Turn it off by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds. Then restart and immediately hold down Command and R keys for 20 seconds and does it boot into any screen ?

If not, turn off restart and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys for 20 seconds. Does that boot into any screen ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

What SMC reset does is, it will refresh all hardware components. It does nothing that hurt the Mac.

PRAM will clear the temporary memory and load fresh system files.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I am not even getting the apple icon...going straight from white to black screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm starting to the think it is the hard drive that has failed, not the display. Because your Mac would shutdown if it can't properly from the hard drive.

How old is this Mac ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

How old is this Mac ? Do you have any discs came with this Mac ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think its about 5/6 years old , we got it just before the i5 came out and I don't have any discs
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Lets boot into Startup Manager and see if it can recognize the hard drive. Turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key for 10 seconds and does it show any screen ?

Also do you hear any noise/sounds like clicking noise from the back/side of the Mac ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has just gone through boot up and showing the user screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has now gone back to blank/black screen
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Turn it off. Restart and immediately hold down Command and V keys for 20 seconds and does it boot into any screen ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has gone to a black screen with lots of text
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then went through to screen with boot up bar for a second and then went blank/black again
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I still believe it is the hard drive that has the issue. Try this one more time. Restart and immediately hold down Option key for 10-20 seconds and doesn't it boot to a screen with several options to choose the hard disk ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it gave me two options but went black/blank again
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I'm really sorry, but this is an hardware issue. This is something we can't fix online. Either the display is failing or it is the hard drive. The only way to identify the problem is by connecting the Mac to an external monitor. This is to rule out the display.

Checking the hard drive on another Mac will tell us if it is hard drive related. Do you have an external monitor that you can connect the Mac to ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a laptop
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That won't help. You have to connect it to an external monitor with a Mini Display/Thunderbolt to VGA/HDMI adapter. If you don't have it, then you have to take it to the Apple store for diagnosis.

If you are using a Mac laptop, then you can connect both Mac with Firewire/Thunderbolt cable and recover your files through Target Disk Mode (if you don't have any backup of your files) --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201462

We've tried everything so far and this is indeed an hardware issue. Sorry

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I want you to try these two methods one more time.

Turn it off. Then restart and immediately hold down Command and R keys for 20 seconds and does it boot into any screen ?

This is to boot into OS X Recovery screen to run some troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have found a monitor but don't know what vga/hdmi cable looks like
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just tried the two methods suggested and nothing happening
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You have to buy the adapter and cable if you don't have it. But it is not worth it to buy them now if you are not going to use it. If you would like to buy it, then tell me the purchase date of your Mac.

I'd recommend to take it to the Apple Store to diagnose it and identify the problem hardware. This is an hardware issue, not software related. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would the hardware go like this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

This is common with computers. I've had two hard drive failures on both my iMac and Macbook Pro. It will not cost much if it is the hard drive, but it'd cost more if the issue is with the LCD/Display. If the issue is with the graphics chip which is integrated to the logic board, then it'd cost around $500 for the logic board.

It is not worth to replace the logic board of an 5 year old Mac. It is better to buy a new Mac instead of replacing the logic board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I could do for you ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought an imac as I thought they were better, never had a hard drive go on any other computers that I have had...seems paying more for a computer does not mean they are better
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The iMac does has the same hardware like other computers. The processor is Intel, the hard drive is 2.5" SATA, RAM is same like other computers and so on. The only difference is the OS (system software) and some chips and circuits. And Yes, I agree paying more for a computer does not mean they are better.

Traditional hard drives are mechanical based and they fail after some time. If it is the hard drive, I'd recommend to upgrade to a SSD which are very durable and faster than hard drives.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The iMac is a solid product though, but very costly. You could build a PC with same price of an iMac which is far more powerful and better. But the Mac OS environment is preferred by many people due to security reasons. The Mac OS is invulnerable to most of all viruses/malwares out there that affect the Windows machines.