Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

My MacBook got stuck after/while logging in to my account.

Customer Question

My MacBook got stuck after/while logging in to my account. The screen stays blank and the fan gets louder.
There was a beamer plugged in when the PC crashed - I removed it but the issue stays the same
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following please

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Disconnect adapter from the computer if it's connected.
  3. Press and hold the power button for five seconds.
  4. Release the power button.
  5. Reconnect the power adapter.
  6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Tell me if it then starts please.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't change anything. I can see the loading screen (with the apple logo above) and it moves very slowly. At some point it get stuck (or the screen completely turns white/grey).
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Power it off.

Then hold the SHIFT key and with it held, start the mac and tell me if it then starts please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It starts as usual - and I get see the login-form after a few seconds. I typed in my password ***** still the same issue. It loads quit a long time and then white screen (completely white, no content) appears.One additional Note: The screen colors are kind of distorted (I can see it slightly on my profile picture)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did. I saw the loading screen with the apple logo on top - then the screen turned white again. No Utility Window.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The color disorder is because of the camera in this case)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

It is the internal mainboard or hard drive that has faulted. Based on the symptoms described, it is pointing to the mainboard as this issue.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Macbook to have a diagnostics run and the faulting component replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't see any chance to repair the macbook myself? It's from 2011 so i'm not sure if it worth it to repair it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, as the problem is a hardware issue, it is not a software problem, we have ruled this out.

Cost for repair is not worth it if there is no warranty, unless you can source cheap a second hand Motherboard for the Macbook to rey replacing this yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I wonder why he is able to show the login screens if the mainboard is no longer working
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

because its not able to communicate correctly with the hard drive.

As I said, its likely a Motherboard issue OR a hard drive issue, but this is only confirmed when one of the components has been replaced.

All other software solutions to rectify we went through.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I managed to solve the problem on my own without changing the hardware.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, we went through all steps to do this, which step did you do?