Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Using phone to contact you. I'm in huge trouble MacBook Air

Customer Question
Using phone to contact you...
Using phone to contact you. I'm in huge trouble
MacBook Air was fine last night. Walked away and expected it would sleep as usual. Returned this am (I have a huge meeting this morning) and apple light on back of screen was lit but screen is grey.
Rebooted and here chime but screen stays grey. Caps light does not light.
Can you help me? I have been in huge project (almost around the clock) for two weeks. So busy have not backed up.
I'm so scared. Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
10/20/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 2 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There are several reasons for this problem. It could be a major hard drive failure or a simple software glitch.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if it works or not.

First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down your Mac
Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 15 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Did that work ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

I tried that using google searches. Can you call me to walk through it in case I'm doing it wrong.

In this case calling might not help as I've to send you some detailed instructions (like some commands to run) which is hard to convey on call. If you tried the steps above, then run Single User Mode.

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command when it boot into black screen with white letters...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck -fy then type only fsk -fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes type reboot and hit return. Let me know the results please.

Running the above commands in Disk Utility (from Single User Mode - the black screen with white letters) above will tell us if there is any issues with the hard drive. Let me know if you get any errors when you run the above commands.

Thanks anyway. I got the exact same advice on my first Google search. Too line advice same as yours.Please refund my $5. I guess I will have to wait for Apple Store to open and see if they can help me. I was hoping to fix it without waiting until 10:00 am and driving to store. If it can be fixed.

I'm sorry about that. You didn't mention what you've tried in the "Already Tried" box. So I didn't know what you have tried so far. Since this is a Macbook Air which have a durable flash based drive, there is a chance of recovering the files. Have you tried reinstalling the OS X ?

If you don't want to continue, I will request JustAnswer to refund your account. Let me know.

You can keep the $5 for your time. I spent about an hour searching on phone and trying fixes. I know better than to not back up. Uggh!

No, it is OK. Customer satisfaction is our top priority. Since I couldn't solve your problem, I will requestJustAnswer to refund your.

If you have not already tried reinstalling the OS X, please do that. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 20 seconds and this will boot into OS X Utilities screen. Select Reinstall Mac OS X and follow the onscreen instructions.

If that didn't work, restart and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot into internet recovery. Then you can reinstall from there.

If both options doesn't work, then you need to take it to the Apple Store and the files can be recovered by connecting this Mac to another Mac by Thunderbolt or Firewire cable and booting into Target Disk Mode.

You were great. It's my fault. I'm glad to knowing the service. Candidly, the advice is the same as on-line. I was hoping to speak to somone in case I was not understanding. Thanks

Macbook Air doesn't use the traditional mechanical hard drives but uses SSD which are very durable and very unlikely to be failed. So there is a chance of recovering the files. I'm sorry I couldn't solve your problem. But if you've not tried reinstalling the OS X, try it. It will not delete anything from your Mac.

You can contact***@******.*** for refund. I will also request JustAnswer to refund your account. You don't have to rate the answer anything since I couldn't solve your problem.

Best Regards,

Thank you. I will request JustAnswer to refund your account.

Best Regards,

Ashik, Mac Technician