Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Whenever I open Safari, I get a pop up window asking iCloud

Customer Question

Whenever I open Safari, I get a pop up window asking for my iCloud password. I input the password ***** the email address that I use with my phone, laptop etc. but the window immediately resets and asks again, then I get the App-specific password *****
(Your Apple ID is protected with two-step verification. You must generate an app-specific password ***** appleid.apple.com to sign in) Choices are later or create. I have gone through this two step verification process many times but I still get these messages.
The original message only goes away when I enter my old password ***** hit cancel. How can I tell if I have two iCloud accounts going on? My Mac is a desktop OS X yosemite 2.7 GHz Interl Core 15....
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

To fix the issue, do the steps below please.

Go to System Preferences > iCloud and turn off "Keychain" option there if it turned on. If it is off already, then sign out from iCloud from there.

Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Keychain Access.

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password *****

Quit Keychain Access.

Then open Safari, click on Safari menu and select Clear History and Website Data. Select All History and clear it. Then go to System Preferences > iCloud and sign in back to your account. This should fix the problem.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I go to iCloud I see the keychain is "checked" should I uncheck it? If I uncheck it I get a message asking "Do you want to keep a copy of your Safari passwords and credit cards on this Mac? I don't see a turn off keychain option
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, uncheck it first. That is a part of iCloud which might be causing the problem. No, don't keep a copy of password ***** credit card as we are going to reset keychain.

Remember, this will erase saved password ***** CC information from your Mac. But you can just login to the websites again and this will save the information again.

Once you did that, sign out from iCloud and then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Keychain Access.

Quit Keychain Access.

Then open Safari, click on Safari menu and select Clear History and Website Data. Select All History and clear it. Then go to System Preferences > iCloud and sign in back to your account. Let me know how it goes.