Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

How can i transfer passwords and bookmarks from one user

Customer Question
account to another using the...
how can i transfer passwords and bookmarks from one user account to another using the same iMac and safari?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
10/16/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 2 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

To do that, you have to copy the Safari folder from the Library folder from one account to the exact location of another account. In Finder, hold down Option key keyboard, then click on the Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Copy Safari folder to a flash drive (or to the Applications folder).

Then login to the other account. Then in Finder, hold down Option key keyboard, then click on the Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Then copy the Safari folder from the flash drive or Applications folder to the Library by replacing the current Safari folder there. This will replace everything from Safari with the copied data.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Yosemite 10.10.5

Did you get my answer re transferring the data ?

I'm attempting to follow ur instructions now, im a little slow as i am not very mac savy.

Take your time. I will be here if you need any assistance.

thank you. i appreciate ur patience.
how to i copy the safari folder to my flash drive?

Do you have a flash drive or USB thumb drive handy ?

To copy, just right click on the Safari folder and select "Copy Safari". Then open flash drive or applications folder, right click and click Paste item from the sub menu.

whats the difference b/t a flash drive and a usb thumb drive?

Both are same but different name only.

When I copy the safari folder from flash drive to library do I want to merge or replace it with the one that already exists?

Replace and this will replace everything of that Safari with new one.

okay so i followed ur instructions to a "T" and all of the bookmarks seem to be there on my new user account but none of my passwords seem to be automatically entered. I.E. when i go to login to the just answer website via my new user account i have to type in my username and password ***** the same with email, and so forth. why is it doing this?

That is because the password ***** saved on different folder named Keychain. You can move it to new account just like you did for Safari.

okay so will u walk me thru that process please

Sorry for the delay. Sure, same procedure

You have to copy the Keychain folder from the Library folder from one account to the exact location of another account. In Finder, hold down Option key keyboard, then click on the Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Copy Keychain folder to a flash drive (or to the Applications folder).

Then login to the other account. Then in Finder, hold down Option key keyboard, then click on the Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Then copy the Keychain folder from the flash drive or Applications folder to the Library by replacing the current Keychain folder there. This will replace everything from Keychain with the copied data.

Should I replace the keychain folder like we did before or merge it?

Replace.

Click Continue Login.

i must be doing something wrong still having to type in my user name and passwords manually as oppsed to the computer auto filling them on the new user account in safari. when i went to the safari preference tab on my new user account then to the password ***** there were only about 8 websites that had my password ***** file to use (so to speak)and on my previous user account i.e. the user account that we were transferring data from there was 50 passwords that were ready to be auto filled for. i hope this makes sense what i am trying to convey. what is our next step?

Understood. Reset the keychain of problem account. Don't reset the keychain of your original account that has the passwords.

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.

From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.

Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.

Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).

Quit Keychain Access. Let me know once you did that

Ok done with that part

On the old account, copy the keychain folder to your flash drive. Login to the "another" account. Open Keychain Access. Click on File and select Add Keychain. Select the login.keychain file and add it.

Okay got that done

Does it successfully import ?

Nope

When you added the login.keychain file, did you get any message ?

no

Add the login.keychain file again. Open Keychain Access, then click on File menu and select Add Keychain. Follow the onscreen instructions to add it. After adding, click Keychain Access menu and select Keychain First Aid.

Run it.

Isn't there very late in there ? If you want, we can continue tomorrow. Just add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me tomorrow. This question will not be closed.

Once I have selected add keychain from the file tab in keychain access there is no onscreen directions on adding it once I add that file there is no message or anything

After clicking Add Keychain, doesn't it give a window to select the keychain (similar to Browse file window) ?

then I click on the name that says login.keychain then I click on the "add" button and that window goes away
Once I type in password ***** keychain first aid do I want to verify or repair keychain configuration?

Repair

It said no problems found
it is very late what time will u be available tomorrow or actually later today

I'm getting out of ideas on this one. Lets try one more thing. First change the password ***** second account to same as first account, so both accounts will have same account password. Then copy the whole Keychain folder from the original account's Library to this account's Library replacing the existing keychain. Then open Keychain and run First Aid.

We can continue tomorrow. Anytime you prefer. Just reply back to me when you are avialalbe and I will get back to you ASAP.

I will be here for the next 7 hours.

If the above doesn't work, then I have one more suggestion to try. Let me know how it goes.

Also after doing the above step, if your MAc ask for password, use the password ***** the original account.

Ashik, Mac Technician