Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My iPad has almost 16GB of "other" stored on it that I need

Customer Question
to drastically reduce. I've tried...
My iPad has almost 16GB of "other" stored on it that I need to drastically reduce. I've tried deleting all messages & email, deleted & reinstalled apps, clearing cookies & data, and even erasing the iPad then restoring from backup. Please help me free up space on my iPad.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/8/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 2 years ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer

Hi there and welcome

It is normally email and attachments that are causing this.

Remove your email accounts (you can add them back) and tell me if you see the space reduce please.

Let me know the results

I had already removed all email accounts

ok, if you check your photos and films, anything still listed on the iPad?

Not sure what you mean. I currently have 20GB of videos, 9GB of photos, 6GB of apps, 1GB of documents, and 16GB of other.

It can mis represent videos and photos as other, it can also fail to delete when you actually delete, so do not take the statistics on face vlaue.

Easiest to check is use the trial version of iexplorer which you can get here

https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Download and install it on your computer and connect the iPad.

Then check what is taking up the space via this app as it will tell you specific files.

Be sure within it to check CloudAssests as there can be large files or any videos you thought you had deleted that it did not remove and you can delete via this app

Let me know how you go please.

Ok, thank you, ***** ***** try this and let you know the results. Thanks for your help

Thank you

Sorry, I'm having trouble running the downloaded app. I downloaded the iExplorer. It said to drop the installer icon into the applications folder to install it, which I did. But i can't get it to open.

What happens when you try to open it? Try to double click it

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** tries it finally opened. Unfortunately I'm going to have to leave for a work meeting - I will message you when I get back to see if you're online (if not, I'll just wait till i hear from you.) Thanks so much! Hopefully we'll get this fixed!

Good to hear though a concern about the mac...

But we will get it fixed :) one way or another as we just need to see whats using the space

Let me know how you go please

Hi Richard. Sorry, an emergency came up & I haven't been able to work on the iPad. But I'm now back to being determined to get this problem fixed

ok thanks, ***** ***** know the results

I'm again having trouble opening the iExplorer - when i drag the iExplorer Installer icon to the Applications window, it won't open

you need to open it after dragging it to the applications window, like you open any application.

you had it opened before, then you left.

once i drag it into the applications folder i double click it but it doesn't open. Last time i did it several times and it eventually opened; I'm still trying

ok, sounds like issues with the Mac....

Let me know when you get it opened please

ok, finally got it opened (I'm not good with computers, so may have been something i was doing but it finally opened)

great! Let me know please how you go.

It shows 56.8 GB used and 3.7 GB available. How can I tell what is taking up the 16 GB of "other?"

the Other is part of the 56GB, so you need to go through the 56GB and remove what you do not need to free it up.

Its the only way to clear it apart from a reset of the iPad

i did a "restore" of the iPad which took the other off and the iPad was working great. Then the first time i did a sinc with my computer, all the "other" came back. I will play with iExplorer and see if i can figure it out (it shows me how many GB the notes, safari, photos, etc is taking up but then the Mac showed me that - not sure how to free up stuff. I'll work on it and let you know how it goes. Thanks!)

ok, to free stuff up you will need to delete it within iExplorer, and this frees it up on the iPad

Let me know how you go please

Sorry, but this is just really not helpful. iExplorer shows what is on my iPad (but not the storage spaced used for each) but it all just looks like my apps, photos, and videos which I can delete from iTunes. I've tried deleting things but it all comes out of the notes, apps, or videos where its stored; its not helping at all with the huge "other" storage. I had this same problem 3yrs ago with my iPhone and was able to get it resolved via JustAnswer. I'm going to look back to what I did with the phone 3yrs ago to fix this problem and see if that will work with my iPad.
Richard, Apple Software Engineer