Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My 2011 MacBook Pro crashed It's in the shop Meantime I'm

Customer Question

My 2011 MacBook Pro crashed
It's in the shop
Meantime I'm trying to use an older MacBook left by an ex employee
I don't know and can't find out what the master password ***** ***** I can use the computer
How can I move forward?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you know the version of OS X that is installed on that Macbook ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
It's probably 1-2 years since it was upgraded
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can create a brand new administrator user account on that Mac for your use. Follow the steps below to create a new User Account from Single User Mode.

• Reboot your Mac

• Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys together for 10 seconds to boot into Single User Mode

• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line). Also, note down the spaces between the commands, like a space between mount and -, space between -uw and / etc

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

After creating the account, you can use that account. It will be like a new Mac. There is also another way to reset the password ***** old existing account.

If the above doesn't work, you can follow the steps below to reset the master password ***** existing account.

Turn off the Mac.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal".

Type (without space) : resetpassword

Press return. Confirm the account and then change password ***** reboot as normal. Login with new password.

If you did everything right, you will be able to login to the existing account and you will get a keychain error. That is normal. Let me know how it goes.

Remember, this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work please don't rate me bad or poor. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or you are satisfied.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

.