Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am having the same issue, but none of this has helped me?

Customer Question
Hello, I am having the same...
I am having the same issue, but none of this has helped me? Now, none of my disks seem to be reading?
When I reboot, ONLY diskwarrior is loading... then when it does, none of my disks are on it? I tried holding rebooting with: "alt", then tried again with: "shift", then next time: "command + r, then: "command + option + pr +... none work.
I was able to get the "command + s" to work, then I typed in "drutil tray open" as you suggested... but that did NOT open the tray? I then typed reboot, that DID work.
But it put right back where I started? At Reboot.
So How did this happen to me? My fault. Here's what I did to get here:
I ran disk utility because my computer was working great, but not perfect as usual. (sigh)
Know that I have done this before, and without issue. I have also ran diskwarrior for many years, without issue.
This time though, I went to the local disk utility, standard on any mac and clicked 'verify disk'.
I got an error in Mac's disk utility program that said it could not verify the main drive. But my Mac still worked fine. I worked a bit more.
When done, I popped in diskwarrior, restarted my mac, held down "C"... (to boot diskwarrior)... and it all worked as it should. ALL disks were reading, I repaired them all... then quit disk warrior.
Here's where I messed up...
For the first time in my life, right after I quit diskwarrior, before allowing it to fully reboot to my desktop... I held command + alt +pr ...to reset my perimeter ram ūüėźūüėĎūüė∂. Now, upon EVERY reboot, it only launches the disk... AND NO hard drive shows up.
Diskwarrior shows up in the drop down area, but nothing else. In diskwarrior, it tells me about the disk drive. Saying reads:
"Directory cannot be rebuilt, Diskwarrior resides in the disk."
"Directory cannot be replaced, because this disk is locked"
When I reboot with "alt"... the only drive that now shows-up is the Diskwarrior CD?!
- My keyboard is wired in to the tower
- I am running Snow Leopard.
- 4, 2TB internal hard drives
- 32 gigs of ram
- diskwarrior 4.4
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
10/1/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 2 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic

I assume this is a MacPro tower?

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.

8. Release the keys. Immediately hold the ALT or Option key until you see a lit of drives.

IN the DW window when you click on the DiskWarrioDVD do you see any other drives in the dropdown menu? Also check the Hardware tab in that window. Did you unplug the computer from power too?

No, there is no other option or Drive appearimg in the drop down window. Nothing shows up in Hardware area either. The option to repair is greyed out. It's not detecting any other thing but the diskwarrior disk?

Did you unplug the computer from power too? Try booting from your Snow Leopard disk. Go to Utilities and open the Disk Utility.

I unplugged it. I did just as you said... it did not work.I cannot eject the Diskwarrior Disk to run any other disk either. I tried all the ejecting options: eject button keyboard, pressing eject multiple times while rebooting, safe booting and typing "drutil tray open"... and nothing. I cannot get a disk in there to reboot from?

OK it sounds like the is a serious issue with the SATA bus. I think you ned to have it looked at. Sorry

What is "SATA bus"...?

That is the bus that the drives and the DVD drive are connected to. It is very unlikely that all the drives failed at once so it must be the motherboard.

I go into apple and say what exactly? ("check the mother board?" or "SATA bus issue?" or what?Is there any 'manual' thing I can do, like remove the ram, unplug things, then plug them back in 'within the Mac'... ??

No it is part of the motherboard. Just tell them you can't see any of your drives and the DVD drive works but will not eject. They will know. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

Mike, Mac Medic