Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Was updating my iPhone 4s this mourning over wifi, but then

Customer Question

Hi was updating my iPhone 4s this mourning over wifi , but then pulled it of the charger and left the wifi area before it had finished, now it just shows up with a charger leed plugging into iTunes , I am nowhere near a computer and have tried holding both buttons to restart it , is there any info you could give me
Cheers
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

No sorry unfortunately that means it needs to be plugged in to a computer, preferably the one it was synced with to restore it. How are you communicating now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With my iPad , is it possible to plug into another computer as I won't be able to get to mine for 2 weeks
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Yes but you may not get your data back until you get back to your computer. You will have to set it up as new or it will sync to the computer you are using.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What data is that Mike, will I lose any data for good? Will it break someone else's computer ? Will I have my contacts , messages , photos ect
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

If you were backing up to iCloud you will get most of it back just set it up as new but:

1. In the Setup Assistant, proceed to “Set up your device,” tap Restore from a Backup, then sign in to iCloud.
  2. Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.

It won't hurt the other computer, just don't sync to it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't use iCloud , will I lose it all if I plug back into my computer wen I get home
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I highly recommend you do that in future. If you were backing up to your computer you can recovery it when you return but for now it will be new and empty you can of course download your apps that you purchased. When you get back plug it in to your computer and open iTunes:

Control-click on your iPhone under DEVICES in the left menu.

Select Restore From Backup...

Choose the backup you wish to sync and click the Restore button.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
f**k all the photos gone as well , just from leaving the wifi area
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Usually when you plug it in to your computer iPhoto opens and asks if you wan to import you photos you never did that? Or did you have the Photo Stream turned on? You can find out by going to icloud.com and sign in and look in Photos.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!