Mac

While you were on vacation I downloaded an update IPhone. Of…

Michelle, While you were on...
Michelle, While you were on vacation I downloaded an update for my IPhone. Of course I had problems. One of which was iCloud wanting me to sigh in every time I went to my music. I would put my apple ID in and it wouldn't accept it. Another tech suggested
I reset the phone, which I... Read full answer
I reset the phone, which I did. That took care of that problem. Now I have a different issue. When my nephew texts me i can't text him back as I get a message that says the number doesn't have the correct amount of numbers and to use a valid 10 digit number.
I've re entered his phone number and tried to send an initiating text, but to no avail. My brother says the same thing happens to him when he tries to text me. This doesn't happen with any of my other contacts. What's going on and how do I fix it? Douglas
9/23/2015
Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Hi Douglas! Wow, that is an interesting issue. Let's try a few steps

1. Delete your nephews contact from your iPhone

2. Next, delete all text message thread

3. Send a new Text message and type in your nephews phone number.

I have already done that.

Have you tried resetting your network settings?

That's when the text issues started

Can you go into your contact list and confirm that the only the area code is in parentheses followed by 7 digits

Are you able to call your nephew and ask him to text you

area code is ok

Has he sent a text message to you yet? If not, please have him text you

his text came through
immediately I got the message 923-0
Message message sent using invalid number of digitsor valid short codeMsg 2114

Are you able to send a screenshot?

Don't know how

Okay, lets delete his contacts again and erase all of your text messages. You will need to delete the entire text message thread. So swipe left on your text message thread to delete everything

OK. One moment

Okay

I deleted everything. Then tried to enter his number and tried to text him and I got the same messageThe only thing I haven't done yet is reset settings again.

There were still steps to take. Lets go one by one. Delete the number and text message thread again. After you have deleted your nephews numbers. Create a new text message and type the first letter of his name. A "i" with a circle will appear. Tap on the "i" and choose ​Remove from recents.

Once you have deleted your nephews phone number from the contact list, deleted the entire thread and removed from recents. Restart your iPhone by pressing both the sleep and home button at the same time until the apple logo appears. Once your phone boots back up again, try to send your text

After I deleted everything and type the first letter of his name his contact info comes up even though his info isn't in my contacts list

Did you choose remove from recents? That is why the issue is still persisting

After deleting the contact, the cache data still exists

I went and hit the edit and then deleted everything so there aren't any text messages showing at all

After deleting his contact, did you start a new text message and began to type his name. His name should appear with an "i" next to it

If so, you will need to tap on the blue "I" and choose remove from recents

I have done all that to no avail.

Let me see if I can screen share. What is your apple ID?

We'll have to continue tomorrow .
What time will work best for you. I'm in the eastern time zone.

I am in NY so I am also on eastern time. I will be online 9am. What time works best for you?

7 pm?
I'll have another phone so if we need to talk live I can use that one and we can live talk.
I have a spare to give to an employee when he's out in the field so I can get ahold of him if need be

Sure! 7pm works. I will chat with you then!

That way I'll be able to work on my phone

Yes! That will make it much easier

Thank's

You're welcome Douglas

I'm running behind. 7:30ish

Hi Douglas. No problem!

At the very top where it says 923-0 is your nephews phone number should be. Can you tap on details at the upper right corner and take a screenshot.

No. It's the error code. It's the same number my brother gets when he tries to text me

I see. So its not when you text your nephew. You will certainly need to restore your iPhone back to factory settings. I know you've been experiencing major issues in the last week with your iPhone and I hope this will conclude those issues. Are you comfortable not restoring from your iCloud backup. Instead manually transfer your data back onto your iPhone.?

If not, you can restore from your iCloud backup. But if the issue still persist, you will need to perform a clean restore

You can not reply to that text message thread, it is not even a 10 digit number

delete the 923-0 messages

I had reset settings and network settings before I started tonightdid that

Can you send a screenshot of your message thread?

Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician

Hi Douglas! just checking in to see how the software update is going.

Well it just completed a couple minutes ago so now I have to set it up.

Alright. When you are done setting up, try to send the text to your nephew

OK. It went through. YAY

YAY!!!! Finally! I am so very happy the update resolved your issue. Is there anything els I can assist you with today?

Not now. I'll let you know tomorrow if my brother can text me and if so I think we'll be done with this issue.
Thank you,
Have a pleasant evening.

You're welcome Douglas. Have a wonderful evening.

Michelle,
Not there yet.
My brother still can't get his texts through.
My messages go to my nephew as my e-mail address through the " send and receive " message in settings and I can't change it through delete as the icon sprocket in front of my name keeps turning as if it's thinking.We'll have to work on this later weather it's tonight or another day.
Should I end this and start another question session?

Hi Douglas Good Morning. Your email is suppose to appear because you are using iMessage. Try theres steps first.

1. Tap On Settings> General > Messages

2. Tap on Send & Receive

3. Make sure both your phone number and email are selected

If your brother does not have an iPhone and only your email is selected, he will not be able to reach you.

It does have both and he does have an iPhone .

Go back to Settings>General>Message and disable iMessage (Its the first one) Wait 3 mins and then turn it back on. It will then re-activate. Is your apple ID signed into any other iPhone?

That sprocket to the left of my name just turns and it won't let me change it and I can't delete the e-mail address from the settings. The message states that this e-mail address cannot be removed. I also have restarted my phone.
That is not my apple ID you are seeing.

Tap on the "I" to the right and choose to remove

Tap on the apple ID and choose sign out

The Apple ID that is listed at the top, tap on it and choose sign out. Then sign in using your Apple ID

OK . It will be awhile to check this.
By the way, what is I message?

iMessage are free text messages from iPhone to iPhone. They do not count as text messages. You will notice blue text bubbles indicating the other user has an iPhone. Green text bubbles are sent out as normal text messages.

okgetting closer

After you sign out of the wrong Message and sign in with your correct apple iD, give me an update

It appears as if this worked. I'll let you know this afternoon if everything works without a hitch. My brother's test text worked as did my nephew's and my wife's.Until this afternoon then

Okay Douglas! Let me know if any other issues arise.

OK. As of right now the only other difference I see as when Alex texted me both his and his fathers text showed when I went to answer Al's. in other words I had to touch which text to answer. I've never had that happen before.I've deleted both so now we'll see what happens throughout the day.Bye for now.

Okay keep me posted. Bye Douglas

Michelle it appears as if I rated you, but, I didn't . Don't no how , but , since it was a 5 star rating all is good.Michelle,
Since I ended up in the review bonus box instead of the rating bonus box I didn't have an option to put a bonus in other that percentages of the service price. I would like to offer a $ 20.00 bonus, but, I'm afraid that I didn't have that option.
Can you facilitate this or do I need to go through customer service.
Douglas

Hi Douglas!! Thank you so very much! I am not sure what happened with our systems. You may need to contact customer service regarding the bonus. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Is there a service number to reference?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

You can either email or call tel:1-***-***-****

OK. I actually have that info already.

Okay. You are all set then

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
For some music, when I download music from iTunes into my
For some music, when I download music from iTunes into my iTunes Library and create new playlists; then sync with my iPhone, some of the music is only icloud and can't be played on my iPhone while awa… read more
John - Tech Expert
John - Tech Expert
Computing Network Management and Design
I bought an App Store & iTunes card under "duress", in order
I bought an App Store & iTunes card under "duress", in order to receive a refund from a support services company/ I was told to purchase this card so they could put my "refund" onto the card. I'm 89 y… read more
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing
Senior Engineer,
Forgotten password. Don't remember. The phone I am taking to
The phone I am taking to you about is my Mother in law's. I am contacting you on my phone. Should we contact you using her phone?… read more
David L
David L
Stop searching for answers—
I share an account with my husband and that is fine but on
I share an account with my husband and that is fine but on one of the updates I said yes to him sharing my icloud. Now we both have the same contacts, pictures and anything I download to my phone or i… read more
hongkongpom
hongkongpom
Computer Desktop Support,
I cant unlock my ipad. I am on windows 10. My brother gave
yes my brother gave me his old ipad and he can not remember the logon or password … read more
IT Manager,
My wife clicked on an update prompt on her iPad and now we
Michelle, My wife clicked on an update prompt on her iPad and now we can't get it turned on to the main screen. I've turned it off by holding down the on off button simultaneously with the home button… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I'm having a problem with my computer regarding adobe
Michelle, I'm having a problem with my computer regarding adobe flash. Every time I go to a site that requires adobe flash player it tells me I need to have it. I have down loaded, opened it, and inst… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
Hopefully your vacation was relaxing. I'm still having
Hopefully your vacation was relaxing. I'm still having an issue with my iPhone6 since I downloaded the new iTunes update. I ended up resetting it per another techs instructions, but, now every time I … read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
IPhone blocking question! I had a tiff with by boyfriend on
iPhone blocking question! I had a tiff with by boyfriend on Sunday. I didnt think it was that big a deal and just decided to let him cool off. But today is Wednesday and I hadnt heard from him so I de… read more
IT Manager,
Michelle, Good morning. Can I purchase and I-Phone
Michelle, Good morning. Can I purchase and I-Phone for my wife without having her phone with me and then just restore her info from backup or do I have to have the phone with me. Douglas… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
Good evening Michelle. There is not enough storage space to
Good evening Michelle. There is not enough storage space to back up to the cloud. I can buy more, but, the new phone will have much more storage on it so the extra storage won't be necessary. Should I… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
To Michelle only - I am going to get my wife the new IPhone
To Michelle only - I am going to get my wife the new IPhone 6. She is worried that she will loose all her photos. When I got mine I had to "convince" them to transfer mine as they said they were not s… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
Good evening Michelle. I'm having trouble updating adobe
Good evening Michelle. I'm having trouble updating adobe onto my wife's computer. As a result she can't do quite a lot , like get to Farmville. Watch you tube videos. Can you help?… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
I recently purchased an app (from the Apple app store) called
I recently purchased an app (from the Apple app store) called "recorder". It is a basic voice recorder. Somehow this app has a function built into it that automatically uploads/syncs the recordings it… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
FOR DANIEL, if available: On my iPhone, the App Store icon
FOR DANIEL, if available: On my iPhone, the App Store icon has frequently been showing that one update is available. Now it frequently shows two updates as available. However, when I go to Updates, I … read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
I have a new Iphone 5 that I bought a month ago and I do not
I have a new Iphone 5 that I bought a month ago and I do not hear any sound at all when I receive a text and oftentimes miss them. Frustrating.… read more
Michelle
Michelle
Mac Technician,
My son and I are both registered on the same Telus account
My son and I are both registered on the same Telus account and when we downloaded the IOS 5 our location shows as [email protected] We can't IMessage (blue) each other we can only text (green). We … read more
I am hoping you can help I just paid for a Quark upgrade and
I'm hoping you can help: I just paid for a Quark upgrade (on Quark's site) and once I downloaded the installer and entered the validation code I was given, the code came up as invalid. Turns out, it l… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college