Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am restoring my iPad and after I did all of the suggested

Customer Question
Hi I am restoring my...
Hi I am restoring my iPad and after I did all of the suggested step you shared with someone else, I still get the message that my iPad is locked and need a password ***** unlock.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
9/22/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 2 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The reason you are getting that message is that your iPad is not in recovery mode yet. You have to put it to recovery mode, then only you will be able to restore it.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPad by putting it to recovery mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here (ignore if you already did this step) : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
Open iTunes application on your computer.
Very improtant step : On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time for 10-15 seconds or until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
Click Restore or Restore and Update button.

Note : Put it to recovery mode while connected to computer and also in recovery mode your iPad will show USB cable pointing to iTunes logo. And it will take a while to restore it.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Remember, this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work please don't rate me bad or poor. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or you are satisfied.

Actually, I just learned from my child that the device is protected by an MDM profile.
It's airwatchwcm from when he was in school.
Could you help me remove that? He is no longer at the school.

As far as I know, it doesn't matter whether it is MDM profile protected or not. If it is not going to recovery mode, then it should go in to DFU Mode which is different from recovery mode. If you can access the device menu, then the profile can be found and deleted from here --> Settings -> General -> Profiles

If you can't open or unlock the iPad, then here are the steps to put it to DFU Mode and restore from iTunes.

Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

On your iPad press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it. Did that work ?

Remember, these steps are different from previous steps. When you put it to DFU mode, the timing must be correct. Otherwise it will not go in to DFU Mode.

I made some research and found that some MDM profiles can't be removed by DFU Mode restore. In that case, you will have to contact the Tech Department of the school and request them to remove them. Do a DFU restore and this will tell us whether the profile can be removed or not. This will install a fresh firmware as well.

Hi. I got it to restore but it does say that the school will automatically configure the ipad. Wondering if that can be done away with.

Yes, I read that as well. After restoring, it will be reconfigured automatically. This is a like the iCloud activation lock. Something that can't be overridden. Have you contacted the school and request them to remove it ?

I'm afraid It has to be removed by the school through Apple. After restoring, are you able to open the iPad menu ?

The profile is still there and it does not give me the option. I contacted the school and they will not remove it. So unfair. We payed tuition to include our child's ipad, and even though he is no longer at the school, they will not remove it. Anything you can do to help me?

Unfortunately this is something beyond our control. Sorry. Since I couldn't solve your problem, you can contact JustAnswer support at***@******.*** for refund if you are not satisfied with my service.

Please don't rate me bad or poor. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied. Sorry I couldn't solve your problem. This is something we can't fix online.

Best Regards,

would you prefer I call you? or is there nothing that can be done on your end?

Hello there, sorry for the delay. Sorry nothing can be done from our end. Only the tech in the school and Apple can remove this profile.

Ashik, Mac Technician