Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I'm new to this. I need to make a movie (myself talking), if

Customer Question

Hi, Daniel. I'm new to this. I need to make a movie (myself talking), if possible, incorporate an iPhoto slideshow as is with music, and post on YouTube for my little granddaughter in Germany. Is this possible? Especially for a newbie?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an iMac with Yosemite. I am hoping I can use the screen (mirror) as a camera, but somehow edit to incorporate the slide show in the middle, then upload to YouTube. Is this possible? I have the slide show ready (with music) but have never used the screen to make a movie. I have never made a movie on my Mac.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

You need a program such as screenflow for this

http://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm

It allows you to record both your screen and add the image from your camera so you can get yourself and anything on your screen (the slideshow) at the same time.

You can then edit it, and make a movie file from this which you can then upload to your Youtube account.

It is very easy to use and you will see the link I gave you provide the overview of how to use this.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This response does not address my specific question. It's not an image from my camera I wish to record. It's a completed slide show made in iPhoto. I have copied it to QuickTime, if that helps. How can I record myself talking (via my built-in camera on the Mac) and incorporate this slide show, then upload to YouTube?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the first thing about making a movie of myself, but I see them on YouTube, and I have an iMac. What do I do? Is there a way I can record myself talking both before and after this slideshow, then incorporate into one movie I can upload to YouTube? This is for my little granddaughter in Germany.
Thanks for considering my question, Richard.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sorry if it was not clear, but it does address specifically what you wish to do.

I will try to explain differently.

The program I am advising allows you to record both your screen (so what is on it) AND via the Camera so you

So you can record yourself and what is also on your screen

Then you can make a movie from this and upload it to Youtube.

Click the link I gave you, look at the overview and you see it explaining how it provides this functionality

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not wish to use the link you sent. I want to use my existing slideshow (in iPhoto or QuickTime) then use my computer screen as a camera to record the move. I want to use the capacity already on my iMac. Can you tell me how to make a movie of myself talking with my iMac?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You cannot, if you want to do this, you need to use a program to both record your screen and yourself and make a film from this. Else I would have told you how to do this within the Mac itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to say that I have to leave for a yoga class. I will be back by 9:30 MST. Can you please tell me how to record myself on my iMac. I see people doing this on YouTube all the time.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you just want to record your self without mixing in the screen

1) Open Photobooth. The simplest way to find it on any mac is to go to the spotlight search bar in the top right of your screen and type “photo booth” and click on the Photo Booth listed under Applications.

2) Select video and record – Video is the third option, just below the bottom left of the video screen; Record is the red button in the middle that I am indicating here:

3) Start speaking (please not “testing, testing, 1, 2, 3…” please)

4) Hit stop

Upload film to Youtube

As you asked to also have screen recordings as part of this you have to use the software I told you.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Or you can just record directly on Youtube

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57409?hl=en

But again, this does not meet the requirement of recording both you and your screen, to meet that you need to do the initial instructions and use the program I gave you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this, Richard. I do not know what you mean by "screen recordings." My question was how to incorporate an iPhoto slideshow into a video of myself talking that I could upload to YouTube. I was hoping I could use iMovie to do this. I tried Photobooth (Thank you!). Is there no way to edit a Photobooth movie (i.e., insert a iPhoto slide show or a Quicktime copy of slide show)? There is also a built-in Mac screen recorder. I recorded the slideshow that way, too, but the sound suffered.If I record via Photobooth way, as you described above, how do I upload to YouTube? It is not one of the options when I select the "share" icon.Is iMovie of any use here? I imported my iPhoto slideshow into iMovie. It plays perfectly. Can't I make a talking movie (as in Photobooth) in iMovie? Could I then edit this movie to record myself talking before and after the slideshow, and make that into one movie to upload onto YouTube for my little granddaughter? THAT is my original question and what I would like help with today. Can't I use my existing programs to make this work? I appreciate your help with this little project.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

to incorporate the slide show you need to play it on your screen and record your screen. This is a screen recording which you use the software I am advising of as it also allows you to record yourself at the same time.

I know and fully understand what your original question is, and I can only keep repeating to meet the requirements you want, you use the program I have been advising of.

I understand you want to not use other programs but then you cannot achieve what you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has not been helpful. I just combined a little practice video I made via Photobooth with my iPhoto slideshow in iMovie, and it plays perfectly. There is an option to share to YouTube. (This is from my own frustrated experimentation, not from any suggestions from this JustAnswer help site.) It looks like iMovie will work. But you say it will not. Why not?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You said you wanted to record you playing the Slideshow at the same time

"I need to make a movie (myself talking), if possible, incorporate an iPhoto slideshow as is with music, and post on YouTube for my little granddaughter "

I will again explain again

You cannot record your screen (to show the slideshow) and you being filmed at the same time

The software I have recommended is made for that

As I explained you can use Photobooth to record yourself, and if you just wanted to insert a slideshow you can use iMovie, but from the beginning you have said you wanted to record both,.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I said I wanted to incorporate an iPhoto slide show as is. Here is my original question:
"I need to make a movie (myself talking), if possible, incorporate an iPhoto slideshow as is with music, and post on YouTube for my little granddaughter in Germany. Is this possible? Especially for a newbie?"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The movie I want has three components: 1) Myself talking (intro) 2) slide show (already made on iPhoto and imported to iMovie) and 3) Myself talking again. Can I do this in iMovie, then upload to YouTube for my granddaughter to view in Germany?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok sure, I am sorry I have not been helpful at all but am glad you were able to get your movie made.

Take care and all the best.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

If you just want to import a slide show and not present it or talk about it which is what I understood your request to be then

In iPhoto
SLIDE SHOW
FILE
EXPORT
SLIDESHOW
(PICK TYPE)
EXPORT TO “iPhoto Slideshows” / OK

In iMovie
File
import
MOVIES/IPHOTO SLIDESHOWS
CHOOSE SIZE/IMPORT
NEW PROJECT
CLICK AND DRAG TO PROJECT LIBRARY
NAME
HIGHLIGHT
SHARE / IDVD
iDVD
OPEN
MOVE PROJECT INTO FIRST SLIDE
ADVANCE / LOOP MOVIE
MAKE ADJUSTMENTS AND Share > YouTube. ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like a refund. This has not helped. In fact, it has increased my frustration. On the plus side, the mounting frustration forced me to experiment and find the solution on my own ;-D
Richard, I never felt you understood or were responding to my initial question.
Oops, I see you have responded. I DO want to present and talk about the slide show, but before and after, not during the slide show. I want to introduce it, show it, and talk about it, all as the same movie that I upload to YouTube. That is what I've been asking from the beginning. I think this will work on iMovie, but you say it will not. I don't understand why not.
Sorry for the trouble.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, it is helpful you are now more specific on you requirements of only talking before and after the presentation and not during the presentation. And as I advised, you can record yourself with photobooth which you did and saw that worked. But its ok, you do not need to pay for your answer, we have a satisfaction guarantee.

I would say the main issue here was leaving during the question which may have made it hard to keep on track with the answer.

But no problem, I will issue a refund, glad your able to get the movie made.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe so. But I felt from your first response that you did not understand my question. Sorry for the frustration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the refund.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

sure, no frustration on my part. but all the best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to do anything to get the refund?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, I have requested one for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so very much!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok