Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Having a problem with my Mac book air. Tried to start up and

Customer Question

Having a problem with my Mac book air. Tried to start up and got a circle with line ..
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then Highlight your hard drive and on the right select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The disk utility stopped verifying says disk needs to repaired click repair disk... when I click ok there is no repair disk to select
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean it is grayed out?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

If you are sure Macintosh HD is still selected... restart and try again, try to select Repair Disk first if not do the same thing

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In left hand column
Macintosh hd
Macintosh hd - this is the one I selectedThen there is a lineDisk0
OS X Base SystemDid I select the correct one?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

The second one the indented Macintosh HD

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same results
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Ok did you restart or just try again? Do you have a Time Machine backup?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Restarted .... I dont think I have a time machine back up ... not sure what that is
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Ok then you don't try this:

Start up your computer in single-user mode to reach the command line.

1. Shut down your Mac if it is on.

2. Press the power button to start the computer.

3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the "s" key for single-user mode. (Command-S)

You have successfully entered single-user mode when you see white text appear on the screen, that is called the command line.

At the command-line prompt type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:

** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK
If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I typed reboot it said command not found ... I tried reboot again nothing
So I tried fsck -fy .... nothi g
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand why did you type reboot before running fsck?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No ... I ran the fsck first ...
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Did it report that your volume is OK? If so Restart to Recovery HD again but this time run Reinstall Mac OS X.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says select the disk to install but nothing to select .... except back or install which is grayed out
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Ok then you will have to erase it but you have no backup is that ok? You can try Disk Warrior:

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get to safari then to get the disk warrior ... is that before or after I erase
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

How are you communicating with me now? It is just a website you have to order the USB stick boot from it and try to repair the disk

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My phone . So do I erase now or do this disk warrior thing
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

It is up to you there is a chance of saving your data with Disk Warrior with erase 0%

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Let me know how it goes.