Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I sell used computers, i buy them as 'not working; and fix

Customer Question
them and resell them. Recently i...
I sell used computers, i buy them as 'not working; and fix them and resell them.
Recently i bought a batch of macbook pro's, it is the first time i am doing it with macs. I am trying to figure out how to reinstall a operating system.
A few of them came with hard drives but most dont. How does it work with macs? Can i download a iso from the internet and install it on a mac?
Where do i download it? How about the software licence? Is the only way to reinstall through the recovery utility that downloads it from apple direct?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
8/31/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Josh, Mac Support replied 2 years ago
Josh, Mac Support

Hi!

You can purchase OS X Snow Leopard from the Apple store (similar to the ISO approach)

Take a look at this article on how to create a bootable USB OS: http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/16/make-os-x-yosemite-boot-install-drive/

What i do with windows is, that i take a laptop that works. Take out the hard drive and clone it. Then install it on the one that doesn't have an operating system. Once there, i run the recovery utility and reset to factory state. What happens is that windows will verify the license from the bios, therefore it will be a genuine copy of windows. I am not sure this works on all manufacturers but it definitely worked on ASUS. Will this approach work on apple also? Because lets say i have one working laptop and then clone all from there....

Yes, you can clone your Mac hard drive and make it bootable.

Ok got it
So let's say I got one working MacBook, I clone that drive and install it in the other one. How do I make that it should have the original operating system that it had?
Please note that I have like 30 MacBook pro's but they are not all the same, some are 15inch and some are 13inch and they range from mid 2010 to mid 2011 models. Will I have to download drivers for the differences in the hardware?

The cloning software will clone everything for you.

1. which cloning software do you recommend?
2. Cloning will clone it exactly, what if i have a MBP 2010 13" And a MBP 2011 15", It has different hardware, how is it going to work?

Carbon Copy Cloner is a great software tool. Click here: https://bombich.com/

To answer your second question:

If you have an Intel Mac you can boot from either an Intel cloned drive or a PPC cloned drive.

If you have a PPC Mac you will not be able to boot from an Intel Mac clone.

I believe that all the macs i have are intel, because they are all from after 2010, correct?
Also, you didn't answer my question regarding, how will i take care of the differences in hardware between all the macs i have?

Correct -- they all have Intel so it will work for all of them. To answer your question about the hardware, there should be no need to install any drivers.

how does it have the correct drivers? if the clone and cloned to are different models?

The OS comes preloaded with drivers

how macbook air? can i clone from macbook pro to an air?
also does macbook 2008 run on intel?

Yes, the 2008 runs on Intel.

Josh, Mac Support