Mac

How do I get a copy on OS 9 downloaded to an external hard…

Customer Question
How do I get a...
How do I get a copy on OS 9 downloaded to an external hard drive I can use as a start up disk for my old iMac that was erased... Read full answer
How do I get a copy on OS 9 downloaded to an external hard drive I can use as a start up disk for my old iMac that was erased
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mac
8/30/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 3 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

If your Mac came with OS X 10.9 (or any version 10.7 or later), then you can boot into Mac OS X Internet recovery to reinstall the OS X either to external or internal drive. To boot into Internet recovery, restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at same time for 10 seconds. This will not work if your Mac came with 10.6 or lower version.

If that is the case, then follow the steps below;

First you have to download the OS X 10.9 Mavericks installation file from App Store. Remember, Apple has removed OS X 10.9 from App Store, so you will only get it if you have already downloaded a copy of OS X 10.9 on to your Mac before. If you never downloaded 10.9 before, you will not get it from App Store. But you can get the 10.10 Yosemite.

If your Mac is not working now, then you need to get access to a Mac. Open App Store, click on Purchases tab and do you see OS X 10.9 Mavericks ? If so, download it.

After downloading, you will see a file named Install Mac OS X on the Applications folder. Now, you have to copy this file to an USB flash drive, so you could boot your Mac from this USB drive to install OS X 10.9 on either the internal drive or external drive.

To copy the OS X Installation file to USB flash drive using this application --> http://diskmakerx.com/

After copying the installation file to USB drive, put the drive to your Mac, restart your Mac and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard for 10 seconds and this will bring Startup Manager. Select USB drive from the list and press return.

This will boot into Mac OS X installation screen. If you are unable to get the 10.9 installation file from App Store, then you can buy this one --->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OS-X-10-9-Mavericks-Bootable-USB3-USB2-Flash-Drive-Installer-/231598637144?hash=item35ec5ac058

Once you are in the installation screen, click on Utilities menu in the top and select Disk Utility. Select your external hard drive in the left column, click on Partition tab. Select 1 Partition. Click Options and make sure GUID is selected. Close it and click Apply or Erase button.

Then close it and follow the onscreen instructions to install OS X to the external hard drive. You can also install to internal hard drive if you want.

Refer this article to download Mavericks from App Store --> http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/30/re-download-os-x-mavericks-installer-from-os-x-yosemite-app-store/

Refer this article to know about installing OS X on external drive --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202796

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. Remember, this is not my final answer. So if you have any problems or questions, please let me know by replying in here and I will continue to help you.

The system was originally set up with OS 9, not 10.9, I haven't been able to locate the original disks though.
I'm really sorry. I thought you are referring to OS X 10.9 since OS 9 is very outdated. My apologies. I tried to find the discs for it, but I couldn't find it. I will opt out and open this question to other experts in here.
If they have any idea, they will get back to you and you will be notified via email.
Please don't rate the answer bad or poor. You don't have to rate anything
If no one get back to you, I will request JustAnswer to refund your account or you can contact/email to***@******.*** for refund.
(Please don't rate the answer anything to process refund)
Hello there, I found this --> http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-install-cd-library
It has all the disc images files of OS 9. Let me know if that is helpful to you.

I will open this question to all experts in here.

Is this a iMac G5 ?

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I want to partition a new external drive using Disk Utility
I want to partition a new external drive using Disk Utility (12.1.1) in OS 10.7.5 Lion … read more
Hesham Akbar
Hesham Akbar
Accidently deleted some files but didnt empty the trash..
accidently deleted some files but didnt empty the trash.. when I went to retrieve them they were not there and now my imac will not work... get the spinning wheel at start up.… read more
Mac Technician,
I'm moving and will be selling or giving away the old "bubble"
I'm moving and will be selling or giving away the old "bubble" mac running 9.0.4 (PPC Enabler); the old dome with floaty screen running 10.3.9 (PPC G4. I would like to erase my data from the machines … read more
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack
Stop searching for answers—
I have an old iMac OS - OS X 10.4.11. 2 GHz Intel Core Duo;
I have an old iMac OS - OS X 10.4.11. 2 GHz Intel Core Duo; Memory 1.5 GB; 667 MHz; DDR2 DRAM. Want to backup the whole hard drive, desktop, etc which accounts for approx 188 GM of used memory. What r… read more
Mac Technician,
Hi, I have an external Lacie hard drive connected to my iMac
Hi, I have an external Lacie hard drive connected to my iMac (and has been for around 2 years with auto-back-up performing without problems). Suddenly this morning, backing-up appears to have failed a… read more
Mac Technician,
I have an iMac G4 with os 10.4.11 and trying to install 9.2.1
I have an iMac G4 with os 10.4.11 and trying to install 9.2.1 from a retail disk. I rebooted from disk and it loads and stays on a blank screen, no applications to select, mouse and keyboard do not wo… read more
Mac Genius,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I just bought a 500 gig seagate
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I just bought a 500 gig seagate hard drive for my Tafe studies. I installed the hard drive for my macbook pro but the it doesn't work with the imacs at the college. Every… read more
Mac Technician,
I have a iMac computer about 3-4 years old. At about the same
I have a iMac computer about 3-4 years old. At about the same time I bought my computer, I bought a My Book external hard drive so I could put all my itunes music on it. ( I am now up to almost 35,000… read more
Mac Technician,
I have a Western digital wd25001032 external storage drive
I have a Western digital wd25001032 external storage drive that I used to back up my old G4 lap top. I no longer use the laptop and I have backed up the WD250. I now want to use the WD to do a windows… read more
Mac Technician,
Hi- My imac HD is nearly full and I have purchased an iomega
Hi- My imac HD is nearly full and I have purchased an iomega external HD and would like to use it as part of my imac HD freeing up space. Can I connect it and transfer files to the external HD and sti… read more
Mac Technician,
I need to take my 7-year-old iMac to the Apple store, but I
I need to take my 7-year-old iMac to the Apple store, but I need to back-up everything first. What is the best and easiest way to do this?… read more
Brian
Brian
Apple Consultant. FileMaker Developer.,
Some college
My 20 imac will not boot up when the external hard drive time
My 20"imac will not boot up when the external hard drive time machine is connected. If I disconnect the external hard drive it will start up fine. The external is a Seegate 1T connected by firewire. I… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Stop searching for answers—
I have an emac and had to use original startup disk to boot
I have an emac and had to use original startup disk to boot up. Now I can log in but it just keeps sending me to Darwin. Can I get to OSX from Darwin?… read more
Jesse
Jesse
Apple Consultant,
Some College
how do i transfer all my data etc from my old imac to new imac
how do i transfer all my data etc from my old imac to new imac and how do i delete that info on the old mac… read more
Self Employed Macintosh Consultant,
I have an old Mac desktop 9.20 operating system. If I buy the
I have an old Mac desktop 9.20 operating system. If I buy the new 27" Imac . how do I get all my info from the old mac to the new mac with snow lepord.… read more
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
System Administrator,
My Imac version 10.5 which is very hard to start up even no
My Imac version 10.5 which is very hard to start up even no any devices plug in. After at least 15-20 times on/off it start up okay, and works fine no crash or freeze at all. I have tried to repair di… read more
Travis
Travis
Director of Design,
I have followed procedures to reset the SMC chip and my Firewire-conne
I have followed procedures to reset the SMC chip and my Firewire-connected external drive now appears in System Profiler. But it still does not appear in the device list and Time Machine cannot connec… read more
Shawn
Shawn
Professor,
I have a G4 imac running OS 10.5.8 Can I install Classic (via
I have a G4 imac running OS 10.5.8 Can I install Classic (via OS 10.2) onto an external hard drive connected to my imac by Firewire and boot from it to run classis prograns?… read more
Mac Genius,