Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Get a message that safari can't a secure connection with a

Customer Question
website on Mac Air...
get a message that safari can't a secure connection with a website on Mac Air
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Safari can't establish a secure connection to a server.
tried emptying cache and resetting safari
8/29/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist

Hello there! This error is typically associated with either your time or time zone set incorrectly.

From the Apple menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences then select Date & Time

Select the Time Zone tab in the preference pane that opens and check that the time zone matches your location. Then select the Date & Time tab. Check that the data and time shown (including the year) are correct, and correct them if not.

Check the box marked

Set date and time automatically

if it's not already checked, and select one of the Apple time servers from the menu next to it.

If that does not work then we will need to do some heavy configuration and i will need to remotely connect to fix the issue.

My date and time are correct. To be sure I did what you suggested. It has no effect on the problems.

Ok then the issue is deeper then the time being off. It seems your OSX system is not updating your time correctly. Follow the steps below or accept the remote proposal so i can do it for you :)

In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. Then select the keychain access application.

In the upper left corner of the window, you should see a list headed Keychains. If not, click the button in the lower left corner that looks like a triangle inside a square.

In the Keychains list, there should be items named System and System Roots. If not, select

File then Add Keychain

from the menu bar and add the following items:

/Library/Keychains/System.keychain

/System/Library/Keychains/SystemRootCertificates.keychain

Open the View menu in the menu bar. If one of the items in the menu is

Show Expired Certificates

select it or it will show

Hide Expired Certificates

which is what we want.

From the Category list in the lower left corner of the window, select Certificates. Look carefully at the list of certificates in the right side of the window. If any of them has a blue-and-white plus sign or a red "X" in the icon, double-click it. An inspection window will open. Click the disclosure triangle labeled Trust to disclose the trust settings for the certificate. From the menu labeled

Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)

select

no value specified

Close the inspection window. You'll be prompted for your administrator password ***** update the settings.

Now open the same inspection window again, and select

When using this certificate: Use System Defaults

Save the change in the same way as before.

Revert all the certificates with non-default trust settings. Close application then click the apple icon and select restart.

I clicked on the certificates that were expired. The values were already set to the ones you said to change to. So I clicked on always trust to see if that had an effect. It just changed the red x to a blue cross. I tried restarting the system. It had no effect on the problem. So I then set them back to the settings you suggested and restarted. It had no effect on the problem. I did notice the OS version was OSX 10.5.8 which is not the latest version. But when I looked for software updates it my software was up to date.

Were any of the certs that were marked with an x showing that they were expired or missing ? If so we need to delete those. Also follow these steps to further reset your osx time stamps

copy the line of text below on this page to select it:

/var/db/crls

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go then Go to Folder

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "crls" should open. Move all the files in that folder to the Trash. You’ll be prompted for your login password.

Restart your mac , empty the Trash, and test.

That did no help.
did not help

Ok then I am going to have to connect to figure out what the issue is please accept the remote tech offer.

The problem is on my laptop. I communicating with you on my desktop.

Ok a way around this is might be to try in a new user or in safe boot.

CLick apple icon

select system preferences

select users (or accounts in earlier versions)

then Click the plus icon ( underneath the list of users)

and select to make a admin user

you can use whatever name you like as long as it is not the same as your current user

then click ok

select the apple icon and select sign out

and sign in to the new account

test

Created new user call test and signed back in. That did not help.
How do I let you on my laptop remotely?

Well we need to be able to log into just answer from that laptop. Can you try to do that or is the error with every site?

2 things we can do if you are unable to get any site

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

open -e /etc/hosts

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application by going to the utilities folder ( inside the application folder)

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting. A TextEdit window should open. At the top of the window, you should see this:

##

# ***** Database

#

# ***** is used to configure the loopback interface

# ***** the system is booting. Do not change this entry.

## ***** localhost

255.255.255.255 broadcasthost

::1 localhost

fe80::1%lo0 localhost

if it is not like that then their is a bigger issue with the osx and we will need to do the following

1. turn off mac
2. Locate/push CMD (command key) and R keys
3. Turn on mac while still holding the keys from step 2
4. Wait 2 min they you will have acouple of options. Select reinstall OSX. This will not delete your user files only system files.

5. Test after reinstall

I am now in just answer on my laptop. How do I get to you? It is on the new question page.

Log into our site and then go to my questions at the top of the site ( it should just take you to this question)

When I press ask your question, it takes me to the beginning not to you. Should I log out of my desktop now that I have the session open on my laptop.

Try using this link on your laptop

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/9a14r-message-safari-can-t-secure-connection.html

As long as your logged in it should let you get to the question using that link.

It asked me to log in again. I did. But it starts a new session and I am not connected to you. I took the url for this page at the top and pasted it in. It gets me to the your last response, but then it says you and 2 other specialists are ready to help. And when I press ask your own question, it takes me back to the beginning with no specialist assigned

If your logged in ( click login in the top right corner) and is still giving you an issue then we have no choice but to do the following.

1. turn off mac

5. Test after reinstall

Johnny  Mack
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist