Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I'm trying to clear everything on my mac before selling it.

Customer Question

I'm trying to clear everything on my mac before selling it. Could you help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

You will want to reinstall the Mac which formats the disk and returns it to new.

To do this First tell me which OSX you have installed. If you do not know. click on the Apple icon in the upper left-hand corner of your desktop and then click on the "About This Mac" menu item: and the "About This Mac" dialog box will launch and tell me it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OSX Yosemite
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

To do the reinstall which wipes everything and returns the Mac to new, do the following

1. In the menu bar, choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command and R keys.

2. Select Disk Utility, then click Continue.

3. Select your startup disk on the left, then click the Erase tab.

4. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format menu, enter a name, then click Erase.

Important: Erasing the disk removes all the information from the disk. Be sure to back up the information you want to keep to an external device.

5. After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.

6. Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.

Once done, the Mac is as new and ready to give away.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The erase button isn't active. It has the dull color instead of black so I can't press it. Please call.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I work here, as this is more easier to convey the instructions.It sounds like you did not restart into recovery

Power it off.

Then hold Command + Option + R, and start the computer as this will boot using internet recovery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw the internet recovery icon on the gray screen when I started the computer after powering off just now. Now there is an icon with a globe with an exclamation point in the middle. A message below reads apple.com/support -1006F
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, can you restart the mac and try again please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just powered down again. Before I restart, is there anything I should do differently this time?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, this is the process to clear the Mac, follow it and let me know if it still gives you the issue please