John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I have used Just Answer several times before. I have another

Customer Question

I have used Just Answer several times before. I have another problem this one on iPhoto and being on Mac I wonder if a Mac specialist is available now, preferably the person who helped me last time although I do not recall his name. The problem is that when we drag a photo from an album in iPhoto to the desk top it is zoomed so much that only a portion of the picture fills the screen.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.

Hi!

What app are you using to view the photo once you have it on the desktop?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what you mean by what ap. I open iphoto, open an album, choose a photo and drag it onto my desktop. Then double click to open the pic on my desktop and when it opens the picture is about 4 time too large to fit onto my screen.

Ok, it sounds like you are probably using the Preview app to view the image if you are just double-clicking on the file once it's on the desktop.

Try this and see if it works for you;

Locate a photo on the desktop you wish to open

When it's open go up to the menu bar at the very top of the screen and choose "View"

then choose "Zoom to Fit" from the drop-down menu. Alternatively, you can try pressing Command and 9 at the same time or Command and "-" at the same time to make the image smaller on screen.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done this before. The image will go smaller the way you suggest but the palate that holds the picture or frame for loss of better description is still large. Also when we drag pictures to the desktop we would have to do this with every individual pic that we drag. We are dealing with hundreds of pictures as my wife is the volunteer photographer for our church and also photography being her main hobby. Before she hit something by mistake or a glitch any pic that we would drag would open on the screen at a proper size. She has to upload her pictures to a church bulliten through the churches Smugmug ap and now they will not download. I'm thinking due to the size/ Pixels? Please forgive my spelling.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if I sent the above. oops

Ok, you do have an alternative and that is to Export the images from iPhoto instead of dragging them. Rather than merely changing how you see the photo, this will actually resize the photo itself.

Open iPhoto

Select the photo(s) you wish to export

Choose "File" from the menu bar at the very top of the screen and choose "Export..." from the drop-down menu.

In the new window that appears, you should see a section for "Size". You should have the option for Small, Medium, and Large. You may wish to play around with these to find the size best suited for your task.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe that my wife has tried this but she said they still come out larger than out screen but I can try it again myself now if there is time. I'm not sure how much time you allow for this help. Is there not a way to set something so that they will all drag easily as before without resizing one at a time? Choosing a size for every individual photo is very time consuming.

No, sadly there is not in iPhoto itself. iPhoto stores the original picture in the same size as it was taken by your camera and when you drag and drop them to the desktop it preserves this. The only way to modify it for multiple images is to select them and export.

However, you may wish to check your camera to see if there is an option that might have been or could be changed in regard to the size (resolution) of the photos you are taking.

Also, there is no time limit on assistance. You can return to this question at any time for more help. If I'm not online, I will reply as soon as I return to work.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you John. She just bought a new Sony A77camera yesterday ($$) and it does the same thing. Anyway, we will try exporting the way you suggest. It is possible that the church has a glitch with the Smugmug ap as well that is preventing the pics from uploading. Can you tell me briefly how to get back to this question and help with the same if I need? Kenny

Sure thing, you can return to our conversation using the following link:

http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/99ou7-used-just-answer-several-times-before.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! we can close then for now at least.

You are very welcome! Good luck!