Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

You answered this question 3 years ago: I have two Itunes ID

Customer Question
Hi John, You answered this question...
Hi John,
You answered this question 3 years ago:
I have two Itunes ID account, but the one on my computer has my gift card on it and I want the gift card on my phone with a different account please help
Here's your answer:
Apple does not allow you to transfer a Gift Card balance between accounts.
However, one option is to simply purchase the items on your computer but "gift" them to the Apple ID used on the iPhone:
Open iTunes and click on the iTunes Store link in the sidebar.
Log in to the iTunes Store with the account from which you wanted to transfer money, if you aren't already.
Locate the items you would like to purchase and click the down arrow next to the price. Click on "Gift This..." on the menu and follow the instructions on the next page with the appropriate information.
__________________________________________________________
I just tried the "gift this" option, but instead of reducing my iTunes gift card balance, my credit card was charged.
I want to use up my $56 balance on my "old" iTunes account (which my son also has access to), but I don't want him to see the items I've purchased. I want these new purchases to show up in my new Apple ID account on my iPhone. Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
8/23/2015
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 2 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hello!
To confirm, you have two Apple ID's and the gift card is under the "old" ID? If so, which ID did you use to make the purchase?
I used the "old" ID (which has the gift card balance) to make the purchase and gifted it to my "new" Apple ID.
Can I make my purchases using my "old" ID, sync them to my iPhone (new ID), then delete the purchase history from my "old" ID?

Ok, I double checked on this for you and it appears Apple Store terms have changed on this in the last three years and Gift cards can not be used to purchase other gifts. :-(

Gift credits, also, can not be transferred to other accounts once they have been redeemed.

You CAN make purchases under the old ID and use them on the iPhone. However, there is a caveat there. Any purchases made under the "old" ID will ALWAYS be linked to the old account, so any time they were updated you would need to provide sign in details.

It may not be exactly what you want, but I might suggest to purchase a gift card under the "old" account and send it to the new one used on the iPhone and then make the purchases directly there. This would allow the apps to be owned by the new ID and the list of app purchases would not appear under the old one.

John T. F., Mac Druid