Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I took my ipod back to factory settings because it wouldn't

Customer Question
sync with any of my...
I took my ipod back to factory settings because it wouldn't sync with any of my new music for a long time and i couldn't get it to do anything. Now it says it can't sync because of unknown error (-124)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
8/17/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist

Hello there! Follow the steps below to clear out all your ipods errors so it can sync again.

1. Plug your iPod into your computer with a USB cable.
  2. Turn off the iPod.
  3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
  4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
  5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
  6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.

Make sure the iPod's screen is blank and no logos are present

Restore with iTunes.

How do I turn it off there ishould no on off switch it's a classic
Follow these steps instead
Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
Then use itunes to restore your ipod.
It still won't load music
It sounding like it might be the hard drive however we still have another step we can do.
Go ahead and put it into disk mode
but this time do not use itunes restore it yet
go to (my) computer
then right click the ipod
select properties then go to the tool tab
At this point we would click the check now button
then check the drive and see if its errors can be fix.
Restore with itunes and attempt sync
If it doesnt then go back to the (my) computer and right click the ipod this time selecting format. Make sure fat32 is selected.
then restore with itunes
Still doesn't work
Alright if you tell me the model number of your ipod ( its on that back in tiny letters) i can find you a replacement harddrive and the instructions on how to do it yourself :)
160GB
Here is the info you need please remember to rate this response atleast 3 stars thanks :D
How to link
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+Classic+Hard+Drive+Replacement/564
product link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-1-8-MK1634GAL-160GBCE-5MM-HDD-for-iPod-classic-7th-160GB-replacement-/321740267070?hash=item4ae936de3e
Johnny  Mack
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist