Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I'm using an iMac with Word 2011. I've got critical

Customer Question
information on my clip board...
I'm using an iMac with Word 2011. I've got critical information on my clip board that I can't paste b/c of the error message "There is insufficient memory. Save the document now."
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
8/13/2015
Mac Support Specialist: David, Mac Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
David, Mac Support Specialist
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.
You can copy, but not paste into the document. Is this correct?
It seems like you can copy the information to clipboard, but to confirm something is in the clipboard, open TextEdit in /Applications, and try to paste the information into it.
This will just confirm that the copy part is working, and copy is putting something into the clipboard. It doesn't solve the paste issue yet, but it confirms the copy part of the operation.
Also can you let me know where you are copying the information from. Is it the same document, the same application, the web?
Thank you in advance,
David.
The information on the clip board came from the same document (i.e., I was moving text from one page to another in the same document). I already tried pasting the info in a number of different applications, including TextEdit: It didn't work. The clip board icon indicates that there's data there. I just can't get it out (i.e, keep getting the "Insufficient memory. Save the document now" error). Presently, I'm trying to Repair Permissions in the hope that this will fix the problem.
There are a lot of things we can do, depending on the document and the copy/paste process you are trying.
If you used Cut, to put the information on the clipboard, then if you close the document or save it the information could be lost.
To avoid that, click Edit > Undo to put the information back where you Cut from.
Otherwise you used Copy, and the information is still in the document, and we can continue with troubleshooting without chances of losing the information.
When you tried to Paste into TextEdit, did it give the same error?
Thanks for your patience,
David.
When I pasted to TextEdit nothing happened, no error msg, no nothing. Undo is not highlighted: Thus, Word thinks this is a fresh document.
Ok, I'm just being careful that you don't lose any information, so if you Copied within the document it should still be there.
I think this could be a problem with Smart Copy/Paste.
Go to the Word menu, and open Preferences. In Edit, remove any checkboxes for Smart Cut Copy Paste.
Now try save your document and copy paste.
This isn't the end of the question, only rate my answer if the issue is solved, otherwise leave rating till later, as there's more to be done.
Sincerely,
David.
Didn't work.
There is a document here, from Microsoft. It describes the same error, but not the same behaviour.
It could be the problem however, so it's worth checking.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/822511
If this document doesn't apply, skip these steps.
Another possibility is the document is protected by track changes. See if you can accept or reject all changes, or turn off track changes, then save the document and try.
Failing this try closing Word, restarting your Mac, and try the operation again.
If this still fails, then it could be a problem with Fonts, and we can try rebuild Fonts for Word if these earlier steps didn't work.
Also, have you checked Software Update to make sure you are using the latest version of everything from Apple? Also, updated Word? Just click Check for Updates in the Help menu to do that.
Let me know if anything changes, or unusual happens, when you try each of these steps.
If unresolved by these steps we will try font caches etc, please leave the answer unrated as there's more to be done.
Thans for your patience,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist