Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I've got a Maxtor external hard drive 9NZ2A4-500 that used

Customer Question
Hi, i've got a Maxtor...
Hi, i've got a Maxtor external hard drive 9NZ2A4-500 that used to work on my windows PC. I now have a Macbook pro and unfortunately it doesn't recognise the drive
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
do you need any more info?
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2015
Mac Support Specialist: kanoko, Mac Guru replied 2 years ago
kanoko
kanoko, Mac Guru

I would be glad to help. The issue you are having is often due to the type of file system that the drive is formatted with. If the format is exFAT or NTFS any version of Mac OS X is going to have trouble accessing the data on that drive. The only way to solve this without losing your data, would be to transfer the contents of the drive to another Windows drive, then format your drive using a more compatible file system like FAT32 and then put the contents back onto the drive.

I would be happy to walk you through the steps to do this. Do you have enough storage space on another drive on a Windows machine that you can do the transfer with?

Thanks for the reply. I do still have a windows PC with plenty of storage space. However, this also does not recognise the Maxtor external hard drive
I see. First let's see if the Windows computer recognizes it as a drive. With it connected, reboot your Windows Machine. Then after boot up go to either Start > Administrative Tools > Computer Management, or Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
Then open the Storage section on the left side and click Disk Management. You should see the external drive listed as one of the items in the lower right section.
Let me know whether or not you see your drive listed there, and if so, what information is written about it (partition size, partition format, etc.)
Hi, I've followed your instructions, unfortunately I cannot see the external drive listed. When the maxtor hdd drive is attached to the PC the light on the unit flashes continually
If you are unable to see the drive as a list item as I described, then your drive is physically damaged and you will be unable to use it. You may be able to take to local computer hardware store to see if any of the data is recoverable, but at this point there is nothing you can do without specialized repair equipment.
Do you happen to know how old the drive is? Most hard drives reach this point between 5-10 years of use, which is why it is important to always backup your important data in case your primary drive fails.
I would be glad to help you set up back ups with a new drive if you are interested in preventing this from happening in the future.
If you no longer need help with this question, please remember to leave a rating on the question page. Keep in mind that the solution to your problem may not be the one you were expecting. If you have any more questions or concerns about this particular issue feel free to let me know.
I will keep your question open until you have a chance to RATE or REPLY on the question page below:
http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/98at5-i-ve-maxtor-external-hard-drive-9nz2a4-500-used.html
kanoko
kanoko
kanoko, Mac Guru