Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have pagemaker 6.5 that I can't export to pdf. I running

Customer Question
on mac 10.4. The message...
I have pagemaker 6.5 that I can't export to pdf. I running on mac 10.4. The message is distiller doesn't have enough memory. Running a powerbook G4.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
7/28/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 2 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Disk Permissions on the left. Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Disk Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
I had tried to repair successfully before. Still getting this error message. Unable to launch the distiller. There probably isn't enough memory.
If you are running in Classic mode would try booting in to OS9 by itself and not running as Classic. Also you can export as postscript file and then run Distiller by itself and close Pagemaker
I'm running Classic mode. How would I boot in OS9 and how do you export s ps file
Export in ps
Sorry it has been a long time since I have seen a system that old: To boot in OS 9:Restart but hold Command-S (which launches in single user mode), and then type:bless -folder9 "/System Folder" -use9 hit return after each linereboot
if you want to print to a file, you have to go into the chooser, select the PostScript printer in the left-hand side of the chooser window, and select virtual printer in the right-hand side. That way, when you print, the computer will send a file to your desktop (or wherever you like), instead of to a printer. If you have Distiller, you can make a watched folder (or folders) that will make a PDF out of any PostScript file that you drop into it. I have watched folders with different job options. I can drop my PS file into one to make a low-res PDF (smaller file size) for email, or a high-res PDF larger file size) to print from. If your current workflow is giving you different results between printing to file or exporting to PDF, you are probably using different job options.When you want to print to your printer, just switch back in the chooser.
I get an error message that one or more of the linked items in this publication may not print as expected. See linked dialog for more information. I don't see my drawing (circles) See attachments.
Should I try to open in OS9 to see if this problem exist. I don't use OS9 been years but I have some workbooks that I need to update. I want to send files but you can open ps to see what I mean. Can't open OS 9 with command structure
Reboot holding Option do you see OS 9?
Doesn't show, only shows hard drive, Should I reinstall OS X.
It show Classic in systems preferences and I can both it up
Did you try to print to the PS printer? When do you get this error message about linked items?
When I go to print pub,
Ok then you will have to look at the dialogue and find out what the problem linked file is.
should we talk
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I don't see what that will do... I'm afraid I haven't use Pagemaker in 20 years sorry.
yes, me either. CS6 opens pagemaker files it says, but I can't get it work. Any advice to use CS6?
Can you send me the file? Go here with any web browser: http://tinyurl.com/upload-to-mikemacmedic Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel to stop.
Some of the linked files are missing but I was able to open it in InDesign:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i6m04oq460eh12f/TBO_Little_Book.indd
OK, I will try to locate them. Not sure after 20 years where they are.
Ok you at least have the file and can edit it now.
The file that is missing is HC Little Book.PMG4
yes, that is one that I can't find. Looking for it now
Let me know
ok
If I have a unix executable file, which maybe it, how to I open it or put the right extensions. Is there a program for putting extensions
Just add the extension. Send it to me
Don't know what it is
OK well that would help of course. Did you send it to me?
No, trying to find the right extension
Just send the file without it
Did you send the file?
Just sent what I could find but not the missing file
Yes those are very small files if they are graphics they are probably vector so you might try opening them with Freehand but I can't open them here.
I have to step away for a bit let me know. We did solve your problem but I can't fix missing files, sorry. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
Still work ing on problem but will close for now
Ok please let me know. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
Mike, Mac Medic