Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have pagemaker 6.5 that I can't export to pdf. I running

Customer Question

I have pagemaker 6.5 that I can't export to pdf. I running on mac 10.4. The message is distiller doesn't have enough memory. Running a powerbook G4.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Click on the first icon in the Dock the "Finder", then click on Go at the top of the screen, you will see a drop down menu, go to Utilities. When that opens double click on the application called Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK in green type, then click on Repair Disk Permissions on the left. Note: If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Disk Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had tried to repair successfully before. Still getting this error message. Unable to launch the distiller. There probably isn't enough memory.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you are running in Classic mode would try booting in to OS9 by itself and not running as Classic. Also you can export as postscript file and then run Distiller by itself and close Pagemaker
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm running Classic mode. How would I boot in OS9 and how do you export s ps file
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Export in ps
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it has been a long time since I have seen a system that old: To boot in OS 9:Restart but hold Command-S (which launches in single user mode), and then type:bless -folder9 "/System Folder" -use9 hit return after each linereboot
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
if you want to print to a file, you have to go into the chooser, select the PostScript printer in the left-hand side of the chooser window, and select virtual printer in the right-hand side. That way, when you print, the computer will send a file to your desktop (or wherever you like), instead of to a printer. If you have Distiller, you can make a watched folder (or folders) that will make a PDF out of any PostScript file that you drop into it. I have watched folders with different job options. I can drop my PS file into one to make a low-res PDF (smaller file size) for email, or a high-res PDF larger file size) to print from. If your current workflow is giving you different results between printing to file or exporting to PDF, you are probably using different job options.When you want to print to your printer, just switch back in the chooser.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get an error message that one or more of the linked items in this publication may not print as expected. See linked dialog for more information. I don't see my drawing (circles) See attachments.
Should I try to open in OS9 to see if this problem exist. I don't use OS9 been years but I have some workbooks that I need to update. I want to send files but you can open ps to see what I mean. Can't open OS 9 with command structure
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Reboot holding Option do you see OS 9?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't show, only shows hard drive, Should I reinstall OS X.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It show Classic in systems preferences and I can both it up
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you try to print to the PS printer? When do you get this error message about linked items?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I go to print pub,
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok then you will have to look at the dialogue and find out what the problem linked file is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should we talk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I don't see what that will do... I'm afraid I haven't use Pagemaker in 20 years sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, me either. CS6 opens pagemaker files it says, but I can't get it work. Any advice to use CS6?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you send me the file? Go here with any web browser: http://tinyurl.com/upload-to-mikemacmedic Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel to stop.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Some of the linked files are missing but I was able to open it in InDesign:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/i6m04oq460eh12f/TBO_Little_Book.indd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I will try to locate them. Not sure after 20 years where they are.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok you at least have the file and can edit it now.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The file that is missing is HC Little Book.PMG4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, that is one that I can't find. Looking for it now
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I have a unix executable file, which maybe it, how to I open it or put the right extensions. Is there a program for putting extensions
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Just add the extension. Send it to me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know what it is
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK well that would help of course. Did you send it to me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, trying to find the right extension
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Just send the file without it
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you send the file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just sent what I could find but not the missing file
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes those are very small files if they are graphics they are probably vector so you might try opening them with Freehand but I can't open them here.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I have to step away for a bit let me know. We did solve your problem but I can't fix missing files, sorry. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still work ing on problem but will close for now
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok please let me know. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!