Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Mac Pro problem: When Safari opens a Lending Tree ad stays

Customer Question
Mac Pro problem: When...
Mac Pro problem: When Safari opens a Lending Tree ad stays on the page or keeps popping up full screen. Once we get to email it automatically deletes all unread messages. We also have some trouble getting our passwords to enter before they get deleted when Lending
Tree is on the screen. Also, text in articles advances at its own pace without our control. What does this sound like to you. this is recent as of two days ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/25/2015
Mac Support Specialist: John T. F., Mac Druid replied 2 years ago
John T. F., Mac Druid
Hi, Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please? Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen Select "About This Mac" In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says. Thanks,John
10.6.8
Thanks, ***** ***** Click "Safari" in the menubar Choose "Reset Safari" On the dialog window that opens, all options should be checked except the following (if they exist)- Remove saved names and passwords- Remove other AutoFill form text Click "Reset" When it's done, restart Safari, and see if the issue is resolved. John
No, it still won't let me put in my password. Blue shows up in the username box and bumps out my name. The cursor keeps moving around in the password *****
What is the website you are trying to log into? John
Just trying to log into our AOL account. We're probably the last people on earth who have AOL but until now we haven't had any problems.
Well, do you have any more advice based on what I've told you?
Are you trying to sign in via AOL software or via Safari and their website? John
Via safari
Ok, please try the following link and see if you can sign in. https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/login/login.psp?sitedomain=sns.mail.aol.com John
Ok, let's talk. What number do I call to get you?
I'm sorry I do not offer telephone support currently.
Well I am not able to type in a new address, it bumps me around and puts in other letters
Are you talking to me on the same Mac? John
No, I'm on my I Pad sitting infront of the Mac Pro.
Ok, do you have the same problem typing things in when using other applications? John
Does this sound like we have been compromised by a hacker?
do you have the same problem typing things in when using other applications? John
Well, Skype lets me log in.
Restart your Mac As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient). Now try using Safari to log in. John
It said "safe boot" but again, I opened Safari and I tried signing into to my email and it won't let me put in my password ***** full screen advertising of "next issue" takes over.
Ok, it seems likely you do have adware installed on the Mac. However, it is past midnight here and I must opt-out so another expert may assist you. When one becomes available, they will contact you.
Please do not reply back until you hear from them as it may delay the transition.
Thanks and good luck!
Mac Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Mac Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason Jones, Mac Technician
I am an Information Technology Professional with over 15 years of professional experience. I am the technician assigned to your case today. I look forward to working with you and resolving this problem.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
May I ask if you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Once the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate via a chat window on your computer.
Thank you,
Jason
Jason Jones, Mac Technician