Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I need to add a keynote presentation that is on my iPad to

Customer Question

I need to add a keynote presentation that is on my iPad to a thumbdrive in my computer. I can't download keynote on the Mac bc I don't have the latest OSX.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 2 years ago.
Hello there! You email yourself the presentation. follow these steps Open the presentation you want to export, and then tap wrench in the toolbar.Tap “Share and Print,” and then tap Email Presentation.Tap the document format you want to export to: ***** ***** or PDF.In the email message that appears, provide an address ( you can use your own) .Tap Send.
.
Then once you have the file copy it to your thumb drive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My wrench doesn't have that. It only has "print". I have a box with an arrow that when I press it says where and how do you want to send this so I chose email and tried to email it to myself. It didn't go through. I tried PDF format and PowerPoint format as well as Keynote format. Nothing in my inbox. Then I tried "send a link" and the link went through the email but when I click on it to add it to the thumb drive, instead of letting me drag it there, it opens in a bets version of Keynote in the Mac. Should I trust this version?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you researching the answer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unsatisfied with your answer. It doesn't work for me at all. Please respond. Or don't charge for the answer.
ave you updated your ipad to the latest ios? If not that is why this feature is not there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you respond to the rest of my answer?
here is the link i am referencing as you can see share and print should be there if you have the latest version of ios and keynote
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH3494?locale=en_US
Thats strange you have a beta version keynote
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The beta version is on my Mac
Welll it work the same just will be buggy (betas usually are) but as far trust i would use if it works.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had been using Keynote on the iPad but had to find a way to transfer it to the Mac so I could put it in a thumb drive.
Right link I sent before is all the ways we can share your presentation but from what you said the send a link went through correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's working off and on. Now I'm getting a "Keynote is offline" message. I would finish the presentation on the iPad if I could somehow get it to the thumb drive.
What do you mean off and on? So you are able to download the file then sometimes not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I saw the stuff on the link you sent before I called you. It just doesn't work.
Yes, the program worked well for an hour or so and then I got an "offline" message. Finally after an hour it came back and now it's gone again. As I said, I'd finish in my ipad if I could get it to a thumb drive. I got a message that the file was too big to email. It's only about 50 slides.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now I keep getting the "unresponsive script" message on the Mac. Never know what to do when that occurs so I'm trying all the buttons.
If it has photos and other media it will be too big can you try deleting some of that media on it then emailing it to your self
Where are you getting that message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That message is on the screen that is trying to load the bets version of Keynote on the Mac.
If I delete the images I have no presentation. Is there another way to get it from my ipad to my Mac without emailing it?
We could use icloud
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The beta version is on iCloud.
Tap Settings on your Home screen, and then tap iCloud.Sign in using your Apple ID.In the list of iCloud services, make sure that Documents & Data is turned on.If it’s not, tap Documents & Data, and then slide the switch to ON.Scroll down to Apps on the left side of the Settings window, and tap Keynote.Slide “Use iCloud” to ON. Then go to www.icloud.com and get your keynote file.
If you have it setup this way then you should be able to use icloud to download the file.
So either the keynote app, emailing, or icloud would be our only options
I wish i had more options for you but apple limits users to what they can get from their phone and how they get it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What home screen are you referring to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not working on a phone. An iPad and a mac
The home screen is where apps are its the same on a ipad or iphone ;)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is it on the computer?
Your iCloud settings would be in system preferences ( from the apple icon menu)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok hold on a sec and I'll go there and do that.
Ok ill be here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would it be called Mobile Me instead of iCloud ?
Mobileme is the version before icloud that means your Mac is not up to date which is more then likely why your having so many issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right. I don't have the last operating system
Well more like your 6 OSX's behind which is about 8 years give or take and apple stopped supporting 10.6 and below.
Which again is why you have script errors and other weird messages because they are not up to date
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just had my Mac services and asked if they could update that. Is is possible to get a version that isn't the latest but would still be more current ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could I download mountain lion?
yes you could
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion?afid=p238|suYXg65Ew-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_52243317370_&cid=aos-us-kwg-pla-btb-slid-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me how to find out if I have enough room on my Mac for it?
Sure right click on the mac hd icon on your desktop and select get info. There it will tell you how much space you have free. Also you can check how much ram you have if you click the apple icon and select about this mac.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How much room would I have to have free ?
Atleast 8 gbs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the HD it says I have 742.55 GB
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 2 GB of available memory.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What would happen if I upgrade to Yosemite?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You still there?
You would get all the updates you need as well as icloud. More features etc.
Its a huge list of differences :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why would I have been advised not to upgrade by the technician who serviced my MacBook last week? He said he thought it would slow things down
Let me put it this way updates patch security holes in your system if your OSX no longer gets updates then its open to many security and ultimately makes your mac less effective/secure.
Also I would get a new "tech"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hmmm. So you think I could update to Yosemite without a problem?
I know you would be able to based on the info you gave me :)
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That makes me happy! How long does it take to do download? Minutes or hours? And if it did cause problems could I go back?
It takes a while its about 6GBs more or less so depending on your speed anywhere between 1.5-4 hours ( your download speed effects this).
As long as you have the disks that came with your mac you should be able to go back but you can also go forward ( since mountain lion isnt the latest one) to mavericks or yosemite.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yosemite is the only one that has the Keynote app
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So can I go there?
You can upgrade to Yosemite as well plus its free so you wouldnt have to pay ( like on mountain lion)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I'll do that then.
One more question. Does it cost $20 more to talk on the phone with you? Or is it just $20 and less expensive than the texting method?
Yes it would be 20 dollars more for a phone a call. The texting method is the most economical.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm reading the reviews of Yosemite and the first ones are talking about how iPhoto has changed and in some cases their photos were lost and unrecoverable when they went to Yosemite. Now I'm scared. I need my photos for Keynote.
You can always try Mavericks I believe that one is still free as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I'll check the reviews for that one.
Sounds good! Please remember to rate this response and if you have any issues post back here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help
Anytime :)
.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Just get a Dropbox account then you can send it to Dropbox from your iPad and any Mac system can use Dropbox