Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

There's something up with my MacBook sir. I can log in with

Customer Question

There's something up with my MacBook sir. I can log in with my itunes password ***** The only options available from that screen or sleep, restart, or shut down. I can't get to Finder etc.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 2 years ago.
Hello there! My name is***** and I will be assisting you today. Sounds like something might be preventing you from seeing your desktop try the following steps. Turn off your mac then hold the shift key. Turn on your mac continuing to hold the shift key for no less the 2 minutes.try to log in. is it the same??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Let's me type in my pw and then accepts ghe password ***** just comes back to password ***** It's like I can log into itunes but not this computer. Does it have anything to do with the Vault security function?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen., select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Permissions. Then if all ok try to restart and log in. If you can't we can try resetting the password. If not FileVault is causing the problem. Go here and look at Choose a recovery option:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204837
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Getting stuck on repairing permission. "Group differs on "library/printers", should be 80; group is 0
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
That's ok
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry the site is giving me problems that was meant for another customer just try the Recovery Options
Hi i can remotely connect and figure out your issue if you like.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still trying to get past the recovery suggestions in the link.
Is it not loading to recovery?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
How far did you get?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you did not set a recovery key then that might not help do you remember doing that?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you try logging in after after running the Disk Utility? Are you sure you had FileVault turned on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It loaded the recovery file but when it was finished, I just got back to the login screen. I don't know if I have FileVault loaded or not.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Were you running Yosemite?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If you are sure FileVault was off you can try to reset the password: http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/reset-forgotten-admin-password-mac-osx/
Filevault will not reset with those steps. You will need to remove the drive and connect it to another mac to break the encryption. You could however either format the drive to by pass this or use at a external drive to recover your info .