Josh, Mac Support
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

Many of my iTunes album names and track names are illegible,

Customer Question

Many of my iTunes album names and track names are illegible, (mostly special characters).
I suspect it has something to do with fonts or codepage information.
How can I fix this problem ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Hi! Have you tried installing the latest version of iTunes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I currently have installed itunes 12.1.2.27
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Since the library was migrated to me laptop, I have installed every update to iTunes.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
The latest version of 12.2.1 Click here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ Download then run the installation so that your iTunes is up to date then check the issue again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
New version installed, no change to problem.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the old computer accessible? I would suggest exporting the songs again then importing them back into the iTunes library on the new computer but before you do that, I would clear the current library with the wrong file names.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Regarding the OLD computer; ITunes was installed on it, and my Library painstakingly assembled. However, after "some event" 12 months after I setup my library, iTunes would not work, and I could not update it. I have NEVER been able to reinstall or update iTunes on that computer. The Library was copied to backup media manually. iTunes was removed from the hard-drive. To this day I have not been able to re-install iTunes on that machine.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Gotcha. Try removing the library from iTunes and importing the library again from the backup media
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Joshua, this migration event took place four years ago. That media has been overwritten long ago. Why do you think importing the library would be beneficial ? Can iTunes recognise other code pages and languages now and translate text properly ?
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
When did you import the library onto this computer? When did the issue start? Did the files show the correct names previously on this computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The library was copied onto my laptop about 4 years ago.
The issue was evident immediately.
The files have never shown the correct name on this computer.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Let's try running the built-in track information option.. Within iTunes, click on Advanced then Get Track Names and let the program do the rest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry Josh, I must be daft, I cannot see "Get Track Names" under Advanced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have attached a JPG showing some of the text corruption that is evident.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Under General Settings, "when Inserting CD", I have found "Automatically retrieve CD Track names from Internet".
Is this to which you were referring above ?
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Right click on a song in your library and select Get Track Names
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can I use this to restore track, artist and album names to my existing Library ?
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
If iTunes can pull the track name/artist from their database then it will restore the actual name of the song. Please give it a try
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Josh, I do not believe that my library was ever "imported" into iTunes. The directory structure copied from the old computer was merely copied onto this Laptop. I do not recall how the files were made known to iTunes.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
Are you getting the error message stating they were not imported?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
iTunes is saying that it cannot supply track names for files that were not imported using iTunes.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
That is unfortunate because that would have resolved the issue for you. Since the issue occurred right after the import, the issue is with the import/file process. We do not have access to the old information so we can't complete another import so at this point there is not much more that you can do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The OLD computer had support for simplified Chinese installed as well as UNICODE. I suspect that this may have something to do with the issue. Strangely though many of the DBCS characters are appearing as they should. So this path is somewhat less likely.
I suspect that I merely copied the music directory structure onto my laptop. Does iTunes automatically import the music files?
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure what you mean by automatically import the music files. Do you mean -- Does it import the music files on your computer without prompting you (on it's own)? If that is the question then no it does not. You must select the option to import the files
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please forgive my ignorance; So if the files are known to iTunes on the current computer, then they must have been imported into iTunes on the current computer ? Is this true?
BTW:I believe the corruption occurred on the old computer when iTunes became unusable.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
I understand what you are saying but I cannot tell you how the files were imported or put into iTunes because I did not see the process. Since the file names were corrupted 4 years ago at the import/transfer the issue is probably with the export from the old computer.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 years ago.
I have not heard back from you in a while -- If the issue is resolved, please rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.