Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

After moving across country, iMac turns on, chimes, but screen

Customer Question

After moving across country, iMac turns on, chimes, but screen black. Help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Try this: Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen., select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Screen still black after command-R
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK are you sure it was off first? Try this then try the Recovery HD again: Shut down the computer.Unplug the computer's power cord.Wait fifteen seconds.Attach the computer's power cord.Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.Release the keys.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the computer just spoke to me before I did any of that... It said press return if English is your preferred language... Which I did, then nothing happened. Should I do the above next or something else?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
If the screen is still black no.. do the above procedure.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still black after the restart
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK did it restart when you help the 4 keys down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK in that case I would say there is a hardware failure and you will need to take it in for repair. The procedure we did should have reset the video and the screen is still black. And we can’t really do any of the other tests since you can’t view the screen. Sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Good luck