Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I'm running OS 10.7...want to upgrade to 10.9...do NOT want…

Customer Question
I'm running OS 10.7...want to...
I'm running OS 10.7...want to upgrade to 10.9...do NOT want Yosemite yet...found Mavericks installer online (at CNET?)...but installation blocked by 'Could not find installation information' bubble....any hope here of loading Mavericks?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mac
6/30/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Ashik, Mac Technician replied 3 years ago
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Unfortunately Apple is NO longer providing Mavericks on App Store. Unless you downloaded or try to download Mavericks at least one time from App Store (even if the download was not completed), you will not be able to download it. If you downloaded or tried to download when it was available, then open App Store and it will appear under the Purchased tab. Download it from there.
If you can't find it, then you will have to get a Mac with Mavericks installed. Then download Mavericks on that computer from App Store, copy the "Mac OS X Installer" file you can after downloading it (you can find it in Applications folder after downloading) to an USB flash drive and you can install it on your Mac.
You will not be able to download it from internet legally. It might be available in file sharing or peer to peer sites, but it is illegal.
The one you found in CNET is not the full installer file but only an update file to existing Mavericks. The original Mavericks installer is almost 5GB I believe. If you take it to the Apple Store, then they should have Mavericks and will install it for you.
You can also check/search on eBay.com
Search "Mac OS X Mavericks" there and you will find some that the people are selling it saved to a Bootable USB flash drive.
See here --> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=mavericks&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xmac+mavericks.TRS0&_nkw=mac+mavericks&_sacat=0
You can buy that. That will work without any problems.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

The Mavericks Installer I found was 5GB. I believe it is the full Mavericks download.

My question here was not about the availability of Mavericks (I already knew everything on that)

My question was about a workaround and/or solution to the "could not find installation information for this machine" message I received that was preventing my installing Mavericks

Could you please provide the link of that CNET page ? So I will verify it on my Mac.

I can't locate the link right now. I am sure the file was 5GB.

I just checked CNET again and couldn't find the full installer. All I found is a 296MB file.
You can try to create a bootable USB Mavericks drive using this application --> http://diskmakerx.com/
Then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard and this will boot into Startup manager. Select the USB and this will boot into Mavericks Installer. You can install it from there. Let me know how it goes.

and it will behave like an upgrade install correct? and not a clean install

(don't want that)

advise

Yes. It will install as an upgrade. Remember, you will get that error if the signature of the downloaded installer file is wrong or modified with additional softwares.
Can you check the size of that file again please ?
Also, you can't trust the ones you downloaded from internet. They might also contain unwanted additionals or any other malwares. It is not safe to download those.
It is very strange for CNET to put the full installer online as it is very illegal.
IMPORTANT ! Always backup your important files to an external hard drive before installing the upgrade.
Jeff, Mavericks is available on eBay.com as bootable USB drive. Here it is --> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=mavericks&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xmac+mavericks.TRS0&_nkw=mac+mavericks&_sacat=0
I'd also suggest to just download a copy of Yosemite. The latetst OS X EI Capitan will be released soon and this will take out Yosemite from App Store.