Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have quark 9 and my computer died. I needed to do a job and…

Customer Question
I have quark 9 and...
I have quark 9 and my computer died. I needed to do a job and did so on my daughter's computer. She downloaded a free trial for me so I could do the work. I am now on a new iMac with yosemite and when I open quark, it displays my daughter's free trial version. I went to the Quark website and downloaded Quark installer (I do have a serial number and validation code from my earlier purchase), but when I try to click on it on my new computer it says "Minimum system OS required is Mac OS® 10.5.8 (Leopard®), Mac OS 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard®) or later." and closes! But I do have a sufficient operating system. What is going on?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
6/25/2015
Mac Support Specialist: dresteve2000, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 years ago
dresteve2000
dresteve2000, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question! Could you advise which version of Quark you downloaded? You mentioned your daughter downloaded the trial, does that trial version work? Or is that the same install you are trying to activate/and are having trouble with?
That version works but I am afraid it will expire on me and I do have my own paid membership!
When I open a quark file now her name appears in the upper left quark opening screen; on my version it always had my name.
I downloaded quark 951
where are you????
Hi - I am here, sorry was not on this question when you last replied.
Do you have a solution or not?
Right...so the trial you downloaded probably is a newer version then 9.51 - it's probably 10.xQuark unfortunately does not support V.9 on OSX Yosemite, but depending on your license you might be able to upgrade from V9 to V10 without any cost. Let me locate the upgrade install and verify this
The reason you see her name is ***** ***** are most likely using her profile on her mac...you could overcome this by creating your own profile account
I am on my own Mac right now so I cannot see how I am using her profile!
and i downloaded from my own profile
I see, I am a bit confused, I thought you said you were using her computer because yours had died?
i used it the one time to finish a job; yesterday i bought a new iMac and downloaded the quark 951 on it.
OK, I understand now, sorry I didn't see anything about another Mac. So I take it your new Mac also has OSX 10.10 Yosemite on it correct?
yes - that's why I don't understand why i got the error message "Minimum system OS required is Mac OS® 10.5.8 (Leopard®), Mac OS 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard®) or later."
Got it, so the error you got is actually incorrect, as it's clear you are ahead of those versions, this is an issue with Quark 9 compatibility with OSX 10.10. When you downloaded 9.5.1, did you download the update only? Could you link me to where you downloaded it?
I have seen people get Quark 9 to run on OSX 10.10 (although it is not supported) but the install process is very particular.
http://www.quark.com/support/downloads/details.aspx?fid=241
Quark is running on my iMac, but not with my name on it!
the version I downloaded will not install; my daughter's version is running on my iMac instead.
I understand, so you must be using her license then and that's why you see her name on your iMac
So the link you send me where you downloaded 9.5.1 is actually just an "updater" installation. You would have to have the original Quark 9 base installation there first.
Do you have access to the original CD/install file that came with your license?
You might try V9.5 download to see if it will install : http://www.quark.com/support/downloads/Details.aspx?fid=239
I know this sounds strange, but getting certain versions of Quark to run on certain versions of OSX can be very tricky
i downloaded my version from the internet when I purchased it -- it did not have a CD then; I am trying your link now
OK, let me know if it works. See the thing is Quark does not have older versions available for download online..only the updaters...which I think is actually very frustrating because half the time the updater will not install correctly. They only have the trial version of the latest download available (as you have seen)
it is downloading...
OK please let me know if it works. I'm not sure if you have any anti-virus software installed but Quark also recommends you to disable it before you run the install (you can enable it again after wards)
If my daughter's version is 9.5.4.1 will I be able to go down a version with this new download?
how do i disable the anti-virus software?
OK, so let me make sure, you have 9.5.4.1 installed on your Mac now, but using your daughter license correct?
yes
free trial
OK, in this case, you might be able to activate that version using your license key then
This might be the easiest thing to do
Do you know how to access the activation in Quark?
no
I can offer additional services for a remote screen sharing session so that I can try to activate it for you. If that does not work for any reason I will continue to work with you to try to get another version of 9.x to install, would you be interested in this?
i assume this means more money?
The fee is typically $30 additional, I can reduce this to $15 today for you, and of course you can request a refund if I am unable to get it to work.
why can't we proceed without additional payment?
We can, it's not a problem, just offering a quick solution if you didn't want to have to go back and forth on this chat trying different things.
let's do it from here
OK, so using the trial version, are you getting prompted for activation when you launch Quark?
same problem as before
You mean using the link I sent correct?
it displays the following message "Minimum system OS required is Mac OS® 10.5.8 (Leopard®), Mac OS 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard®) or later." -- then closes.
yes -- this is quark 9.5
OK. I think the best thing to try is to activate the trial you have installed. So using the trial version, are you getting prompted for activation when you launch Quark?
we have been on for 1 hour -- is there a resolution?
OK. I think the best thing to try is to activate the trial you have installed.So using the trial version, are you getting prompted for activation when you launch Quark?
In an effort to get this resolved for you quickly I can ask my supervisor to reduce remote connection fee to $5. Would you be OK with that?
Thank you but I think I figured it out myself using Quark setup assistant under the quark menu bar at the top
OK, glad you got it working.
Did you use the setup assistant to activate the trial you had installed?
yes; but the weird thing is that the trial was installed on a different computer and opened on this one
That's very strange..
Well in any case glad you were able to get it working. If you don't have any additional questions regarding this please do rate with positive feedback so that we can end this question, would really be appreciated.