Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I have a Macbook Air....last couple of days it is taking a…

Customer Question
I have a Macbook Air....last...
I have a Macbook Air....last couple of days it is taking a long time to come out of hibernation.....anywhere from a couple of seconds to 45 minutes....wondering if i have a virus or too much data on board or something else...please advise....I use this thing constantly
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mac
6/22/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Richard, Apple Software Engineer replied 3 years ago
Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.
It is likely to be an issue on the hard disk as this is the most common cause so we start with repairing this.
Power off the mac
Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.
Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window
choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

thanks ...I am trying now...it ran through a repair ad now screen says it is updating boot support partitions......but i don't know if it is done or not...there is no status bar now..and there was for the repair.....also.....do i do this on just the start up disk or osx also

Do this on both disks to be sure.
It should tell you when its complete with the process.

it did not work for the startup disk because it hibernated and now i cant get it started...

Hold the power button down till it powers off.
Then try to turn it on again.
Though it would never hibernate at this process, so I think this is a hardware problem, but get it awake again and complete the process.
Let me know the results please

it wont start at all now

It is a hardware issue Daniel, the hibernation would never run during a disk repair, and it points to the hard disk or the mainboard has failing.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the macbook to have a hardware diagnositcs performed and replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you