Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

New to Macbookpro trying to switch from PC and I am now running…

Customer Question
New to Macbookpro trying to...
New to Macbookpro trying to switch from PC and I am now running Yosemite 10.10.3.
Yesterday I Imported all photos from the ds7000 SD CARD. All photos were taken as both "Fine JPEG" and simultaneously "raw NEF" files ds7000 files.
A box, with a listing of pics that were all raw NEF came up after the importation, and it said that the NEF files were not recognized by my iPhoto importation ( latest version).
What can I do to get iPhoto to select the NEF files, and keep as raw, NEF or convert to raw TIFF or another non compressed file format.
Is a Nikon program available that will wok into the Yosemite program?
Or, is there a program that will allow me to select the raw Nikon ds7000 NEF LIST and convert seperately to another raw format?
Also, I older Adobe Photoshop/premier Elements 10.
Would Adobe be better? But I want to learn and stick to Apple software as much as possible so an APP to work into iPhoto in Yosemite 10.10.3 seems to be a great solution for me to switch to Mac and keep things all under one roof rather than going Helter Skelter all the time ever since I started working with a VAX in 1987 that ran VMS and laughed at the Idiots" having to use a mouse,.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mac
6/15/2015
Mac Support Specialist: Dustin, Mac Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
The issue that you are running into here is that the mac does not have the proper codec to read the NEF image type. The file you need is shown below, unfortunately they only have a Windows, and not a mac version of that file.
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/30.html
If you want to work in the NEF format on your mac, I suggest you download the Nikon Capture NX D software from this page.
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/31.html
Once downloaded, follow the installation instructions shown on the paage above.
Once installed, you should be able to run the Capture NX D program and access the Nef images and work with them. The manual on this page will be quite helpful.
http://download3.nikonimglib.com/archive1/3EM1700SUKZa01ziRDD426dUrp70/D-CNXD__-010200BF-___EN-ALL___.pdf
I do understand that you wanted to try working entirely with apple software. While that plan would work with a wide variety of files and equipment, Nikon simply hasnt written a NEF codec for use on apple systems as of yet. ( to allow the native mac applictions to read / process the NEF files directly)
If you have further questions or concerns, let me know.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
My correct cell phone number is(###) ###-####
Can you verify you seen and read my previous reply.
Thank you.
Dustin S
Yes!
I've seen and read your reply and until codec is updated by Nikon for ds7000 NEF files
Did you try to install the free Nikon Capture NX D Program for mac I suggested..
That should allow you to open the NEF files. Work on them, and save them as needed.
D.S
I think I installed the PC rather then Mac version
So starting over
Understood,
If you run into any further issues, reply in detail and I will do what I can to assist you.
D.S
Pl
Okay
Your messages could be getting cut off, if you run into further issues or need more assistance.
You are welcome to reply when / if you need help.
Dustin S.
Ok thx
My apologies for the "spam" messages.
Its company policy I have to be the last one to reply, on each conversation.
Please wait to reply until you need further assistance, or have further questions, or info to offer. Thank you,
Dustin S.
Hello again, I havent heard from you in some time. Just wanted to check back with you and see how you are faring with the issue.
Also, if you would prefer Ive sent an offer for our phone support option.
I hope you are enjoying your weekend, and I look forward to your reply when time permits.
Dustin S.
Dustin, Mac Support Specialist