Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

Michelle, went on Safari on my Mac yesterday and it came

Customer Question

hi Michelle,
went on Safari on my Mac yesterday and it came up with a security error "macxreport.com" and call 0***-***-****. When i contacted them they sounded very dodgy would not give any name & wanted £90-£130 on line to fix the problem. This sounds like a con!! I can not get back onto Safari, what should i do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. That is certainly a scam. Do you have another Internet browser application, such as Firefox or Chrome, etc. working on the computer?
- Can you force quit Safari (or restart the computer)
, then press & keep holding the Shift key on your keyboard while clicking on the Safari icon, then once Safari is opened, then you can release the Shift key.
, and if Safari works that way, then click on the Safari menu at the top in Safari, then click Preferences, then click General tab, then change the Homepage to a website you want such as google.com or yahoo.com etc.
- If that does not work, force quit Safari (or restart the computer), then open Finder, then click on Go menu at the top, then click on Go to Folder, then type exactly:
~/Library/Preferences/
, then click on Go
, then trash the file com.apple.Safari.plist
, then open Safari and check.
- If that still does not work, from a working computer, download / save the Google Chrome software file at the website below:
https://dl.google.com/chrome/mac/stable/GGRO/googlechrome.dmg
, then transfer it to the problematic computer via a USB drive
, then install it
, then open the Chrome application and use it for Internet / websites.
- And/or please try the following fix: Click on the Apple logo / menu, then System Preferences, then Accounts (or Users & Groups)
, then if needed, click the lock icon and enter your computer password ***** prompted
, then click the plus (+) icon, then select the Administrator option, and enter a new account name and continue
, then restart the computer, then log in the new account name and see if Safari works fine in the new account.
When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,